The Complete Guide to Using the ME-300 Micro Educator by E-Collar Technologies
Training with an e-collar is a quick and efficient way to do dog training. Used correctly, dog shock collars have been proven safe and effective.
A shock collar may sound frightening, especially if you have a small dog. Thankfully, there’s an Educator collar for every dog that’s just right. In this case, that is the Micro Educator ME-300 remote training collar.
Designed for the Smallest Dogs
E-Collar Technologies is known mainly for the Mini Educator ET-300. The Mini Educator dog training e collar is small yet reliable in three (3) different color variants – yellow, black, and the Educator Zen 300. Because it’s a “mini,” the ET-300 is recommended for dogs 8 pounds and larger.
But America is obsessed with tiny dogs. Poodles, for one, have always been part of the popular list for decades. Same with Pomeranians and Yorkies. These breeds sometimes do not even reach 8 pounds in weight.
For those who want to get the benefits of a reliable dog training collar but worry about how their minuscule pooches will react to static, the Micro Educator ME-300 may be the perfect solution.
The ME-300 e-collar is 20% lighter and smaller than even the Mini Educator. It also delivers 20% less stimulation than other Educator dog collars, making it ideal for the most miniature breeds.
Getting Started with the Micro Educator ME-300
What is the Micro Educator ME-300 remote training collar? The ME-300 is an e collar for dogs. E collars are also called remote trainers, shock collars, or remote training collars. Regardless of the name, they all have the same function. They help correct undesirable behavior in dogs. They can also be used to reinforce already learned commands.
E-collars work well even at a distance, making them valuable communication tools that also foster better relationships between pets and their owners.
Unlike other Educator collar models, however, the ME-300 has lower levels of static stimulation. This is because it was designed for the smallest dog breeds.
If you’ve just gotten a Micro Educator ME-300 or want to purchase one for your pet, here’s everything you need to know.
What comes in the box:
- Waterproof Floating Remote Transmitter
- Waterproof Miniature Collar Receiver with ¾” x 30” Biothane Strap
- Two (2) Sets of Contact Points (5/8” and ¾”)
- Contact Points Removal Tool
- Dual Battery Charger (120V/220V)
- Owner’s Manual
Micro Educator ME-300 Remote Transmitter:
The ME-300 Micro Educator remote is a round, stopwatch-like shape with a distinctive purple skin. Unlike the Mini Educator, it doesn’t come with other color variants.
Micro Educator ME-300 Receiver Collar:
The ME-300 e collar receiver looks similar to other Educator collars. It also comes with a 30-inch Biothane strap with a width of ¾”. Unlike other Educator collar models, though, the ME-300 considers the smallest of dogs by having the contact points roughly 20% closer to each other. The collar can also be rotated 90-degrees on the strap. This allows you to have the contact points in a “fore and aft” position.
The Micro Educator ME-300 remote training collar comes with the following features:
- 1/3-Mile Range
- 20% Less Power
- 1-100 Adjustable Levels of Static Stimulation
- 60 Levels of Boost
- Non-Stimulation Vibration
- Tone Option
- Ergonomic “Stopwatch” Transmitter
- “Lock and Set” Knob
- Rotating Receiver
- LCD Transmitter Display
- Low Battery Indicator
- Biothane Collar Strap
- Fully Waterproof
- Rechargeable, Quick Charge Li-Polymer Battery
- Expandable to 2-Dog System
- For Dogs 5 Pounds and Up
The ME-300 Micro Educator remote training e collar also comes in a 2-dog version, the ME-302.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an e collar?
- An e collar is a dog training tool that’s also called a remote trainer, remote training collar, or shock collar. It allows you to communicate remotely with your dog. Used correctly, it can help reinforce commands and correct undesirable behaviors in your pet. It provides you the means to train your dog with more precise timing and consistency. This makes an e-collar a very effective training tool.
Will an e collar hurt my dog?
- A remote trainer works by sending a signal from the transmitter to the collar on the dog’s neck. The signal then triggers the stimulation, which can be a static shock. The stimulation distracts the dog from doing something they’re not supposed to or marks the desired behavior. The stimulation may be unpleasant but generally harmless.
Are e-collars effective?
- E-collars can be invaluable training tools, but only when used correctly. If you are unsure about using one or do not know how to start, please consult with a professional trainer.
When can I use an e collar for dogs?
- PetsTEK does not recommend using an e collar for dogs younger than six (6) months old. We also recommend supplementing training with a remote trainer only when your dog has already learned the basic commands.
Are Educator collars worth it?
- Educator collars are highly reliable and effective if used correctly and as intended. It has a good range and is packed with features worth your money. E-Collar Technologies has produced several different models, from the Mini Educator ET-300 to its big brother, The Educator ET-400, The Boss Educator ET-800 and Easy Educator EZ-900, and many more. It’s easy to find a suitable collar to fit your dog’s needs and temperament.
How does the Micro Educator ME-300 remote training collar work?
- The ME-300 transmitter remote sends a signal to the receiver collar on the dog’s neck. The collar receiver will trigger the stimulation once the signal is received. You can also set the remote to vibrate or deliver tone to mark the message you’re sending your pet. In highly distracting situations, you can use the boost option.
Does the ME-300 Micro Educator e-collar have any safety features?
- The ME-300 Micro Educator E-Collar comes with a “Lock and Set” feature to ensure you don’t change stimulation levels unknowingly.
What is the difference between the Mini Educator ET-300 and Micro Educator ME-300?
- Aesthetically, the Mini Educator ET-300 and the Micro Educator ME-300 have similar-looking remote transmitters. Almost all ET models – the Educator ET-400, Mini Educator ET-300, Boss Educator ET-800, K9 Handlers, and even the Pager Only PG-300, come with the same stopwatch style remote in varying colors. The Micro Educator mainly differs because it generates 20% less power, and the collar’s contact points are closer together.
Operating the ME-300 Micro Educator E-Collar
How do I fit the e-collar?
- Making sure the e collar fits correctly will ensure more consistent correction. To fit the e-collar properly:
- Put the receiver on your dog’s neck below the ears, on the side of the windpipe.
- Make sure the contact points are touching the skin.
- Check the fit. You should be able to put a couple of fingers between the strap and your dog’s skin.
If the collar is too loose, it won’t administer correction reliably. Meanwhile, a too-tight collar is an irritation risk. So, make sure your dog is comfortable. Rotate the collar every 2 hours and never leave it on for more than 10 hours every day.
Charging your the ME-300 Micro Educator e-collar
- First, make sure the remote and transmitter batteries are fully charged. The charging port can be found at the back of the remote transmitter and collar receiver. Lift the flap and attach the dual charger.
The light will turn RED during charging cycles. Once fully charged, the light will turn GREEN. Charging time takes approximately 2 hours.
How do I turn the Micro Educator ME-300 e-collar on?
- Place the small dot on the transmitter remote against the small dot on the receiver collar. This pairs the remote with the collar.
Press the “L” button for 2 seconds to turn it on.
How do I turn the Micro Educator ME-300 e-collar off?
- To turn the device off, press and hold the “L” button for 2 seconds.
Why can’t I get the full range on my e-collar?
- The 1/3-mile is more than enough for most dog training. However, the actual range can be affected by training conditions, including weather and terrain. For best results, hold the transmitter away from your body. Do not touch the antenna as it will significantly reduce range.
How do I know if my ME-300 Micro Educator e-collar is ready for use?
- Check the LCD on your ME-300 remote. If turned on, the LCD will display the settings.
How do I know if my ME-300 Micro Educator remote training e-collar is ready for adjustment?
- A blinking “1D” on the LCD screen indicates the stimulation can be adjusted.
How do I know if my Micro Educator ME-300 e-collar is locked?
- When locked, “1D” on the LCD screen will be solid instead of flashing.
How to set the stimulation level on my ME-300 remote trainer?
- Rotate the stimulation level lock at the top of the remote to set the stimulation level. Rotating clockwise increases the level while counter-clockwise lowers it.
How can I switch stimulation modes in my ME-300?
- The ME-300 remote has an “M/C” button at the back. This allows you to change between the modes as needed. When in combo Momentary/Continuous mode, the LCD screen will show both “M” and “C.” When in Momentary, only “M” is displayed on the screen. In Continuous mode only, the “C” is shown.
What does momentary and continuous stimulation mean?
- Momentary sends a single pulse of stimulation at the level that was set. Continuous will send pulses of stimulation for as long as the button is pressed, timing out after 10 seconds.
Can I change stimulation levels while pressing the remote buttons?
- Not when using momentary stimulation. However, when on continuous stimulation mode, the stimulation level can be increased or decreased while the button is being pressed.
What is the tapping sensation on the Micro Educator ME-300?
- Tapping refers to vibration and is best for sensitive or hearing-impaired dogs.
Does the ME-300 Micro Educator collar have a tone?
- The tone is a flat sound that can go on for up to 30 seconds.
How can I use the boost function on the ME-300 Micro Educator?
- For a momentary boost, press the black “S” button and then the red “S” button without releasing the black “S” button.
- For continuous boost, first, administer continuous (red “S” button) and then press the black “S” button without releasing the red “S” button.
How does the boost function of the ME-300 Micro Educator work?
- When using boost, your dog will receive a shock equal to the set stimulation level plus the boosted level. For example, your e-collar is set to level 10, and the boost is at level 5. Your dog will receive 10+5.
How do I activate the night light on my ME-300 Micro Educator dog training collar?
- Find the “L” button at the back of your ME-300 remote. Press for half a second to turn the night tracking light on. The light will be flashing. To enter solid mode, press the button again. Pressing the button again after this will turn the light off.
How to lock my ME-300 Micro Educator remote?
- Once you have your desired stimulation level set up, push down on the top of the stimulation dial. “1D” will light up on the LCD screen. If unlocked, this will be flashing. In locked mode, “1D” is solid.
To check, try rotating the knob again. If the level does not change, the remote is successfully locked.
How to unlock my ME-300 remote?
- Press the stimulation knob down and hold for a few seconds until the “1D” icon flashes.
How can I turn the ME-300 Lost Transmitter Mode on?
- To turn lost transmitter mode on, set the intensity level to 0. Then press the “L” button and the black “S” button simultaneously. Once the locator timer is on, you will hear 3 short beeps. This activates the 6-hour timer.
The lost transmitter mode is automatically turned off when the transmitter is turned off and back on again.
How do I pair a new collar to the ME-300 transmitter?
- To pair or sync a new collar to your ME-300 transmitter remote, follow these steps:
- Turn the transmitter remote on.
- Dial the intensity down to 0.
- Make sure the receiver collar is off.
- Put the red dot on the transmitter against the red dot on the receiver for 5 seconds or until the green light changes from solid to flashing.
- Press the black “S” button and then the red “S” button. Hold for 2 seconds until you hear the confirmation sound.
Can I add another dog to my ME-300 remote training collar system?
- Yes, the ME-300 is expandable to a 2-dog system.
How to change the ME-300 remote training collar to a 2-dog system?
- Please be aware that changing from a 1-dog to a 2-dog remote changes the button functions. To change from a 1-dog to a 2-dog remote-
- Turn the transmitter on.
- Press the following buttons in order and hold: Red “S” + Black “S” + “T”
- After 2 seconds or more, a confirmation beep will sound.
How can I change my ME-300 back to a 1-dog remote system?
- To change back to a single-dog system, turn the remote on. Press the red “S” button, then the black “S” button, and finally the “T” button. Hold all three simultaneously for 2 seconds or until the confirmation beep is heard.
How long does the ME-300 e collar battery last?
- One full charge can last between 40-60 hours. A Micro Educator ME-300 battery typically lasts 3-5 years. However, please note that this can vary depending on usage. Battery life also deteriorates over time.
Does the ME-300 Micro Educator dog collar come with a warranty?
- The ME-300 comes with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
For more information on how to use the Micro Educator ME-300 remote training collar, please check the user manual.
Looking for a different Educator collar? Check out our handy Educator collar guide.
Dog Training, E-Collar Info & Guides, Remote Training Collar
we rescued a Australian cattle dog / American pit bull mix from a shelter holding incorrigible rescues . She was 4 months old and a real problem dog . I worked with a professional dog trainer for about a month on and off and the Micro educator worked wonders . Rarely was the shock function enabled . She learned how to make decisions and now can fully function and understand what we expect from her . This is a tool that is both humane and gets the results you want. I would not have used the Educator if I thought it would harm my dog in anyway.
Hey Lauren. The ME-300 Micro Educator doesn’t allow pairing two remotes in one e-collar. Instead, you can sync two collar receivers to one ME-300 remote. To do this, you need to purchase an additional collar or get the ME-302, which comes with two collar receivers.
Can you pair two remotes to one ecollar?
HI Julian! You can activate the night light on the ME-300 Micro Educator collar. By pressing the “L” button at the back of the remote for half a second, the night tracking light turns on. The light will be flashing. This should help you find the collar especially in the dark.
Can you find your e collar just using the remote