The Complete Guide to Using the PG-300 Pager Only by E-Collar Technologies
Training with an e-collar can be intimidating for many pet owners. It’s not hard to feel apprehensive when one hears the term “shock collar,” after all. While static stimulation, used correctly, has been proven safe and effective for dog training, some pet trainers and owners would still rather use different means.
This is where a vibration e-collar comes in.
E-Collar Technologies, one of the most popular and trusted remote training collar brands, has a vibration only collar in the form of the Pager Only PG-300 remote trainer.
Reduce Dog Training Stress with the PG-300 Pager Only
E-Collar Technologies is known mainly for the Mini Educator ET-300. The small yet reliable dog training ecollar comes in three (3) different color variants – yellow, black, and the Educator Zen 300. It comes with three (3) types of stimulation – static, vibration, and tone.
For those who would like to get the benefits of a reliable dog training collar without the shock, the Pager Only PG-300 is an excellent alternative. It removes the electric stimulation typical of dog shock collars and focuses on delivering vibration to correct or reinforce behavior. This e-collar is perfect for sensitive, skittish, or hearing-impaired dogs.
The PG-300 Pager Only remote training collar also comes with a Tone option that significantly helps mark acceptable behavior.
Getting Started with the Pager Only PG-300 E-Collar
What is the PG-300 Pager Only Educator Collar? The PG-300 is an e collar for dogs. E collars, also called remote trainers, shock collars, or remote training collars, help correct your dog’s undesirable behavior and reinforce already learned commands. Because they work well even at a distance, e collars make valuable communication tools and foster better relationships between pets and their owners. However, unlike other Educator collar models, the PG-300 does not have static stimulation.
If you’ve just gotten a PG-300 or want to purchase one for your beloved furry companion, here’s everything you need to know.
What comes in the box:
- Waterproof Floating Remote Transmitter
- Waterproof Miniature Collar Receiver with ¾” x 30” Biothane Strap
- Dual Battery Charger (120V/220V)
- Owner’s Manual
- Storage Box
Pager Only PG-300 Remote Transmitter:
The PG-300 Pager Only remote is a round, stopwatch-like shape like the Mini Educator. However, the PG-300 remote is a distinct red color.
The PG-300 remote transmitter is easy to use one-handed. It also controls a tracking light and has a lost transmitter locator.
Pager Only PG-300 Receiver Collar:
The PG-300 e collar differs from other E-Collar Technologies models in that it does not have contact points or prongs. Like other Educator collars, it also comes with a 30-inch Biothane strap. If your dog has a smaller-size neck, the strap can easily be cut to size.
The Pager Only PG-300 Educator remote training collar comes with the following features:
- 1/2-Mile Range
- 1-100 Levels of Vibration
- Vibration Boost
- Tone Button (for Behavior Marking)
- Ergonomic “Stopwatch” Transmitter
- “Lock and Set” Knob
- Biothane Collar Strap
- Fully Waterproof
- LED Light Feature for Night Visibility
- Patented Dual Motor Technology
- Rechargeable, Quick Charge Li-Polymer Battery
- Expandable to 2-Dog System
- For Dogs of All Sizes
The PG-300 Pager Only remote training e collar also comes in a 2-dog version, the PG-302.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an e collar?
- An e collar is a dog training tool that’s also called a remote trainer, remote training collar, or shock collar. It allows you to communicate remotely with your dog. Used correctly, it can help reinforce commands and correct undesirable behaviors in your pet. It provides you the means to train your dog with more precise timing and consistency. This makes an e-collar a very effective training tool.
Will an e collar hurt my dog?
- A remote trainer works by sending a signal from the transmitter to the collar on the dog’s neck. The signal then triggers the stimulation, which can a static shock. The stimulation distracts the dog from doing something they’re not supposed to or marks the desired behavior. The stimulation may be unpleasant but generally harmless.
For people who prefer not to use static, the PG-300 Pager Only e collar comes with vibration and tone training options only.
Are e-collars effective?
- E-collars can be invaluable training tools, but only when used correctly. If you are unsure about using one or do not know how to start, please consult with a professional trainer.
When can I use an e collar for dogs?
- PetsTEK does not recommend using an e collar for dogs younger than six (6) months old. We also recommend supplementing training with a remote trainer only when your dog has already learned the basic commands.
Are Educators worth it?
- Educator collars are highly reliable and effective if used correctly and as intended. It has a good range and is packed with features worth your money. E-Collar Technologies has produced several different models, from the ET-300 Mini Educator to its big brother, The ET-400 Educator, The ET-800 Boss Educator and EZ-900 Easy Educator, and many more. It’s easy to find the suitable collar to fit your dog’s needs and temperament.
How does the Pager Only PG-300 work?
- The PG-300 transmitter remote sends a signal to the receiver collar on the dog’s neck. The collar receiver will vibrate once the signal is received. You can also set the remote to deliver tone to mark the message you’re sending your pet. In highly distracting situations, you can use the boost option.
Does the PG-300 Pager Only have any safety features?
- The PG-300 Vibration Only E-Collar comes with a “Lock and Set” feature to ensure you don’t change stimulation levels unknowingly.
What is the difference between the Mini Educator ET-300 and Pager Only PG-300?
- The Mini Educator ET-300 and the Pager Only PG-300 have similar-looking remote transmitters. All the ET models – the Educator ET-400, Micro Educator ME-300, Boss Educator ET-800, and K9 Handlers, come with the same stopwatch style remote in varying colors. However, the PG-300 does not have static stimulation like the other Educator collars.
Operating the PG-300 Pager Only Collar
How do I fit the e-collar?
- Making sure the e collar fits correctly will ensure more consistent correction. To fit the e-collar properly:
- Put the receiver on your dog’s neck below the ears, on the side of the windpipe.
- Make sure the contact points are touching the skin.
- Check the fit. You should be able to put a couple of fingers between the strap and your dog’s skin.
If the collar is too loose, it won’t administer correction reliably. Meanwhile, a too tight collar is an irritation risk. So, make sure your dog is comfortable. Rotate the collar every 2 hours and never leave it on for more than 10 hours every day.
Charging your the PG-300 Pager Only e-collar
- First, make sure the remote and transmitter batteries are fully charged. The charging port can be found at the back of the remote transmitter and collar receiver. Simply lift the flap and attach the dual charger.
The light will turn RED during charging cycles. Once fully charged, the light will turn GREEN. Charging time takes approximately 2 hours.
How do I turn the PG-300 Pager Only e-collar on?
- Place the small dot on the transmitter remote against the small dot on the receiver collar. This pairs the remote with the collar.
Press the “L” button for 2 seconds to turn it on.
How do I turn the PG-300 Pager Only e-collar off?
- To turn the device off, simply press and hold the “L” button for 2 seconds.
Why can’t I get the full range on my e-collar?
- The 1/2-mile is more than enough for most dog training. However, the actual range can be affected by training conditions, including weather and terrain. For best results, hold the transmitter away from your body. Do not touch the antenna as it will greatly reduce range.
How do I know if my PG-300 Pager Only e-collar is ready for use?
- Check the LCD on your PG-300 remote. If turned on, the LCD will display the settings.
How do I know if my PG-300 Pager Only e-collar is ready for adjustment?
- A blinking “1D” on the LCD screen indicates the stimulation can be adjusted.
How do I know if my PG-300 Pager Only e-collar is locked?
- When locked, “1D” on the LCD screen will be solid instead of flashing.
How to set the vibration level on my PG-300 remote trainer?
- Rotate the stimulation level lock at the top of the remote to set the stimulation level. Rotating clockwise increases the level while counter-clockwise lowers it.
How can I switch stimulation modes in my PG-300?
- The PG-300 remote has an “M/C” button at the back. This allows you to change between the three vibration modes as needed. When in combo Momentary/Continuous mode, the LCD screen will show both “M” and “C.” When in Momentary, only “M” is displayed on the screen. In Continuous mode only, the “C” is shown.
What does momentary and continuous stimulation mean?
- Momentary sends a single pulse of vibration at the level that was set. Continuous will send pulses of vibration for as long as the button is pressed, timing out after 10 seconds.
Can I change stimulation levels while pressing the remote buttons?
- Not when using momentary stimulation. However, when on continuous stimulation mode, the stimulation level can be increased or decreased while the button is being pressed.
What is the tapping sensation on the PG-300 Pager Only?
- Tapping refers to vibration and is best for sensitive or hearing-impaired dogs.
Does the PG-300 Pager Only have tone?
- The tone is a flat sound that can go on for up to 30 seconds.
How can I use the boost function on the PG-300 Pager Only?
- For a momentary boost, press the black “S” button and then the red “S” button without releasing the black “S” button.
- For continuous boost, first, administer continuous vibration (red “S” button) and then press the black “S” button without releasing the red “S” button.
How does the boost function of the PG-300 Pager Only work?
- When using boost, your dog will receive a shock equal to the set stimulation level plus the boosted level. For example, your e-collar is set to level 10, and the boost is at level 5. Your dog will receive 10+5.
How to change from vibration to tone function in the PG-300 Pager Only?
- First, set the intensity level to “0.”To toggle between tapping or vibration and tone, press the “L” and “T” buttons simultaneously.
Single beep + “A” LCD icon = tone
Double beep + “T” LCD icon = tapping (vibration)
How do I activate the night light on my PG-300 Pager Only?
- Find the “L” button at the back of your PG-300 remote. Press for half a second to turn the night tracking light on. The light will be flashing. To enter solid mode, press the button again. Pressing the button again after this will turn the light off.
How to lock my PG-300 remote?
- Once you have your desired vibration level set up, simply push down on the top of the stimulation dial. “1D” will light up on the LCD screen. If unlocked, this will be flashing. In locked mode, “1D” is solid.
To check, try rotating the knob again. If the level does not change, the remote is successfully locked.
How to unlock my PG-300 remote?
- Press the stimulation knob down and hold for a few seconds until the “1D” icon flashes.
How can I turn the PG-300 Lost Transmitter Mode on?
- To turn lost transmitter mode on, set the intensity level to 0. Then press the “L” button and the black “S” button simultaneously. Once the locator timer is on, you will hear 3 short beeps. This activates the 6-hour timer.
The lost transmitter mode is automatically turned off when the transmitter is turned off and back on again.
How do I pair a new collar to the PG-300 transmitter?
- To pair or sync a new collar to your PG-300 transmitter remote, follow these steps:
- Turn the transmitter remote on.
- Dial the intensity down to 0.
- Make sure the receiver collar is off.
- Put the red dot on the transmitter against the red dot on the receiver for 5 seconds or until the green light changes from solid to flashing.
- Press the black “S” button and then the red “S” button. Hold for 2 seconds until you hear the confirmation sound.
Can I add another dog to my PG-300 remote training collar system?
- Yes, the PG-300 is expandable to a 2-dog system.
How to change the PG-300 remote training collar to a 2-dog system?
- Please be aware that changing from a 1-dog to a 2-dog remote changes the button functions. To change from a 1-dog to a 2-dog remote-
- Turn the transmitter on.
- Press the following buttons in order and hold: Red “S” + Black “S” + “T”
- After 2 seconds or more, a confirmation beep will sound.
How can I change my PG-300 back to a 1-dog remote system?
- To change back to a single-dog system, turn the remote on. Press the red “S” button, then the black “S” button, and finally the “T” button. Hold all three simultaneously for 2 seconds or until the confirmation beep is heard.
Can I add a stimulation collar to my PG-300 remote trainer?
- Yes, you can. Just buy an extra compatible collar that has contact points.
How long does the PG-300 e collar battery last?
- One full charge can last between 40-60 hours. A PG-300 battery typically lasts 3-5 years. However, please note that this can vary depending on usage. Battery life also deteriorates over time.
Does the PG-300 Pager Only vibration dog collar come with a warranty?
- The PG-300 comes with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
For more information on how to use the PG-300 Pager Only remote training collar, please check the user manual.
Looking for a different Educator collar? Check out our handy Educator collar guide.