SportDog E-Collar Feature: How to Use the YT-100/100S YardTrainer Remote Training Collar
Every dog is unique. Some dogs may be more timid or sensitive, while others may be tougher. Regardless of their differences, dogs need training to be confident and happy.
While dog training can be tricky, hiring a professional dog trainer is not always necessary. In fact, you can do this from the comfort of your own home, where your dog feels safe and familiar.
With the help of an e-collar and proper training methods, you can develop a long-lasting and trusting bond with your furry friend. SportDOG e-collars are highly effective tools for pet training, whether in your backyard or in the field.
For this blog, we'll be focusing on the SportDOG YardTrainer YT-100 and YT-100S remote training collars. As their usage and functionalities are pretty similar, we'll refer to both collars as the YT-100 for simplicity's sake.
Why Buy SportDOG YardTrainer from PetsTEK
PetsTEK is an authorized reseller of SportDog ecollars. With PetsTEK, every secure purchase entitles you to:
- Free Shipping
- 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Top-Notch Customer Support
Buying your SportDog e collar from PetsTEK also entitles you to the full manufacturer warranty.
For a limited time, your SportDog YardTrainer remote dog training collar purchase includes a free e-collar training e-book.
Getting Started with the SportDOG YardTrainer
The YardTrainer 100 and 100S are e-collars for dogs. The only difference between the two is that the YT-100S is built for stubborn dogs and has a higher stimulation range than the YT-100. Apart from that, both Sportdog e collars are identical.
An e-collar is otherwise known as a shock collar, a remote training collar, a dog training ecollar, or a remote trainer. Remote training collars help correct unwanted behavior in dogs and reinforce already-learned cues.
If you’ve just gotten the SportDOG YardTrainer, here’s everything you need to know.
- Remote Transmitter
- Receiver on 3/4" Collar Strap
- Charge Cable
- Standard and Long Contact Points
- Test Light Tool
- Operating Guide
- Basic Training Manual
SportDog YT-100 Remote Transmitter:
The SportDog YT-100 remote transmitter has a compact design for discreet operation. It has three buttons - upper, lower, and side - which correspond to its three correction modes, such as static, vibration, and tone. This remote provides adjustable stimulation levels, allowing you to tailor the perfect setting for your dog.
Made with DryTek® Technology, the device is waterproof and submersible up to 25 feet. Hence, dropping your handheld transmitter on water wouldn’t be much of a worry.
SportDog YT-100 Receiver Collar:
The SportDog YardTrainer YT-100 collar receiver fits dogs as small as 8 pounds. This e-collar delivers multiple correction options for your training preference and dog’s needs. The receiver receives the signal from the transmitter within a 100-yard range.
Similar to the remote transmitter, the YT-100 receiver collar is waterproof and can be submerged up to 25 feet. This means you can be at peace despite your dog’s splashing habits or a sudden downpour.
The SportDog YT-100 remote training collar comes with the following features:
- 100-Yard Range
- 8 Stimulation Levels
- Vibration and Tone Options
- Slim-Profile Collar Receiver
- Waterproof and Submersible up to 25 Feet
- LED Battery Indicator
- 1-Dog System Only
- 2-Hour Rapid-Charge Batteries
- For Dogs 8 Pounds and Above
- Fits Neck Sizes 5”-22”
Note: The YT-100S has a higher stimulation range than the YT-100.
The SportDog YardTrainer – The Perfect E-Collar for Beginners
The SportDog YardTrainer YT-100 is a simple yet effective dog training device, making it ideal for beginners. This SportDog ecollar is excellent for basic obedience training in any situation, as long as your dog is within 100 yards.
Don’t be fooled by its slim-profile collar. The YT-100 has enough firepower to ensure your dog obeys your commands. It offers three modes of communication: static, vibration, or tone. Each mode has a dedicated button for easy and tactile operation.
The YT-100 is fully waterproof and submersible, so water contact with the device won’t hamper your training. If you're considering introducing an e-collar to your dog, the SportDog YardTrainer YT-100 is an excellent starting point.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an e collar?
- An e collar is a dog training tool that’s also called a remote trainer, remote training collar, or shock collar. It helps you communicate remotely with your dog. Used correctly, it can help reinforce commands and correct undesirable behaviors in your pet. It allows you to train your dog with more precise timing and consistency. This makes an e-collar a very effective training tool.
Will an e-collar hurt my dog?
- A remote trainer works by sending a signal from the transmitter to the collar on the dog’s neck. The signal then triggers the stimulation, which can be in the form of static shock. The stimulation is meant to distract the dog from doing something they’re not supposed to or mark the desired behavior. The stimulation may be unpleasant but generally harmless.
For people who prefer not to use static, the YardTrainer YT-100 also comes with vibration and tone training modes.
Are e-collars effective?
- E-collars can be invaluable training tools, but only when used correctly. If you are unsure about using one or do not know how to start, please consult a professional trainer.
When can I use an e-collar for dogs?
- PetsTEK does not recommend using an e collar for dogs younger than 6 months old. We also recommend supplementing training with a remote trainer only when your dog has already learned the basic commands.
How does the YardTrainer YT-100 remote e-collar work?
- The YT-100 transmitter remote sends a signal to the receiver collar on the dog’s neck. The collar has two contact points, also called prongs, that deliver static. You can also set the remote to deliver vibration or tone to mark the message you’re sending your pet.
Operating the SportDog YardTrainer YT-100 Remote Training Collar
How do I fit the e-collar?
- Making sure the e collar fits correctly will ensure more consistent correction. To fit the e-collar properly:
- With your dog standing, center the receiver below your dog’s neck.
- Ensure the contact points are touching the skin.
- You should be able to put a finger between the collar strap and your dog’s neck.
- Allow your dog to be comfortable wearing the e-collar. Recheck the fit after several minutes.
Note: If the collar is too loose, it won’t administer correction reliably. Meanwhile, a too-tight collar is an irritation risk. So, make sure your dog is comfortable. Rotate the collar every 2 hours and never leave it for more than 10 hours daily.
How do I charge the SportDog YardTrainer YT-100?
- To charge your YardTrainer YT-100, follow the steps below:
- Lift the rubber covering the charging jack.
- Connect the charging connector to the charging jack.
- Plug the USB adaptor into a power source.
- Charge the transmitter for 2 hours.
- Cover the charging jack once the charging is complete.
- Align the charging cradle with the contact points. Ensure the hole on the charging cradle is also aligned with the Receiver Indicator Light.
- Push the charging cradle up and back on the receiver collar until the cradle snaps into place.
- Plug the USB adaptor into a power source. The Indicator Light will come solid green while charging.
- After 2 hours of charging, remove the charging cradle and unplug the USB adaptor from the power source.
How do I turn the YT-100 e-collar on or off?
- To turn the e-collar on, press and release the On/Off button. The Receiver Indicator Light will flash green or red, depending on the battery status.
- To turn the e-collar off, press and release the On/Off button. The Indicator Light will turn solid red, and the receiver will beep for 2 seconds.
What does momentary and continuous stimulation mean?
- Momentary stimulation sends a brief static correction. Continuous will send pulses of stimulation for as long as the button is pressed.
The YT-100 will “time out” after 10 seconds to prevent overstimulation.
Does the YardTrainer YT-100 have a tone?
- Yes. The SportDog YT-100 has a tone feature.
How to find the best intensity level for your dog using the YT-100?
- Find your dog’s recognition level with the steps below:
- With the e-collar turned on and fitted properly on your dog, set the intensity to Level 1 and press the Upper Button for 1-2 seconds.
- If your dog does not show any slight reaction to the stimulation, dial up to Level 2 and repeat the process.
- Once your dog exhibits a mild response, such as an ear flick or neck twitch, stop there and use this level when you begin e-collar training with your dog.
- If your dog does not react even at the highest level, check the collar fit and ensure the contact points are touching the skin. Start over from Step 1. However, if your dog is still not feeling the stimulation, consider using the long contact points included in the package.
Note: Your dog shouldn’t yelp or panic when receiving the stimulation. But if this happens, the level is just too high. Go back to the previous level and repeat the process.
How do I pair the YT-100 YardTrainer collar receiver to the transmitter?
- The YardTrainer YT-100 remote has been pre-configured to work with the collar receiver. However, if you want to pair a new collar receiver with your existing remote or the collar receiver with a new remote, follow these steps:
- Turn the collar receiver off.
- Press and hold the On/Off button. The Receiver Indicator Light will come on and turn off after 4-5 seconds. (Note: If the indicator light begins flashing, start over from Step 1.)
- Release the On/Off button once the receiver has turned off.
- Press and hold the Upper Button on the transmitter until the Receiver Indicator Light flashes 5 times.
- If the Indicator Light has flashed 5 times, the pairing is successful and will start flashing as normal. (Note: If the indicator light does not flash 5 times, repeat from Step 1.)
Can I add another dog to my YT-100 remote training collar system?
- No, the YT-100 is a 1-dog system only.
How long does the SportDog YT-100 e collar battery last?
- The YT-100 transmitter battery life is 50-70 hours between charges, while the receiver battery can last for 20-25 hours per full charge.
Is the SportDog YT-100 e collar waterproof?
- Yes, the SportDog YT-100 is fully waterproof and submersible up to 25 feet.
Why can’t I get the full range on the YT-100 collar?
- The range is affected by terrain, weather, vegetation, and transmission from other radio devices.
Does the SportDog YT-100 remote training collar come with a warranty?
- The YT-100 YardTrainer comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
For more information on how to use your YT-100 remote training collar, please check your user manual.
Looking for a different SportDog collar? Check out our SportDog buying guide.
You might also enjoy...