How to Use the SportDog SD-575 SportTrainer Remote Training Collar
As a leading provider of e-collars, SportDOG is renowned for its high-quality products that can withstand the toughest conditions. Designed for outdoor pursuits such as hunting, SportDOG collars are rigorously tested to ensure their durability. The SportTrainer 575 model is a prime example.
This blog will delve into the features and usage of the SportDOG SD-575 SportTrainer remote training collar.
Why Buy SportDOG SportTrainer 575 from PetsTEK
PetsTEK is an authorized reseller of SportDog e collars. With PetsTEK, every secure purchase entitles you to:
- Free Shipping
- 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Top-Notch Customer Support
Buying your SportDog e collar from PetsTEK also entitles you to the full manufacturer warranty.
For a limited time, your SportDog SD-575 remote training collar purchase includes a free e-collar training e-book.
Getting Started with the SportTrainer SD-575
What is the SportTrainer SD-575? The SportTrainer 575 is an e collar for dogs. An e-collar is also called a dog shock collar, a remote trainer, or a remote dog training collar.
Remote dog training collars are excellent tools to correct undesirable behavior and reinforce dog commands. They can also be used to teach advanced skills necessary for specialized canine tasks. These collars provide pet owners a safe and humane way to train their dogs. With an e collar, you can communicate with your dog from a distance, which is especially helpful outdoors.
If you’ve just gotten the SportTrainer 575 or want to purchase one for your hunting dog, here’s everything you need to know.
What comes in the box:
- Remote Transmitter with Removable Antenna
- Collar Receiver
- 3/4" Receiver Collar Strap
- Standard and Long Contact Points
- Test Light Tool
- Quick Start Guide
SportDog SD-575 SportTrainer Remote Transmitter:
The SportTrainer SD-575 remote transmitter allows you to control two dogs within a 1-mile range. It features a large OLED screen that displays the static level, battery status, and selected dog.
The strategically placed buttons make it easy to operate without looking. The device is fully waterproof with DryTek technology, allowing it to be submerged up to 25 feet. It only takes 2 hours to fully charge.
SportDog SD-575 SportTrainer Receiver Collar:
The SportTrainer SD-575 collar receiver has a slim-profile design for comfortable fit on your dog's neck. It is also waterproof and submersible, as is the SD-575 transmitter.
The collar receiver features rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that charge fully in 2 hours. It also has a built-in indicator light that alerts you when the battery needs recharging. It is compatible with neck sizes ranging from 5 to 23 inches.
The SportDog SD-575 dog training collar comes with the following features:
- 500-Yard Range
- 10 Levels of Static Stimulation
- Low to Medium Power Output
- Vibration and Tone Options
- OLED Display
- Low Battery Indicator
- Waterproof and Submersible up to 25 Feet
- 2-Hour Quick Charge Batteries
- Expandable to 2-Dogs System
- For Dogs 8 Pounds and Up
- Fits Neck Sizes 5” - 23”
The SportDog SD-575 SportTrainer – Hunting E-Collar for Close-Working Dogs
The SportDog SD-575 is a compact hunting collar designed for training close-working dogs. It provides a 500-yard range and can handle two dogs simultaneously.
With its large OLED screen, you can easily view the stimulation level, selected dog, and battery status at a glance. You can also quickly switch between dogs with the tactile Dog 1/Dog 2 buttons.
This e collar offers customization options with 10 adjustable stimulation levels and additional training functions like vibration and tone. It ensures reliability in all weather conditions due to its fully waterproof construction using DryTek technology.
For improved visibility during hunting, this hunting collar is also available in a vibrant orange finish – SportTrainer 575E remote training collar.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an e collar for dogs?
- An e collar for dogs is a training tool that’s also called a remote trainer, dog electric collar, or shock collar for dogs. It helps you communicate remotely with your dog. Used correctly, it can help reinforce commands and correct undesirable behaviors in your pet. It allows you to train your dog with more precise timing and consistency. This makes an e-collar a very effective training tool.
Will an e-collar hurt my dog?
- A remote trainer works by sending a signal from the transmitter to the collar on the dog’s neck. The signal then triggers the stimulation, which can be in the form of static shock. The stimulation is meant to distract the dog from doing something they’re not supposed to or mark the desired behavior. The stimulation may be unpleasant but generally harmless.
For people who prefer not to use static, the SportTrainer 575 also comes with vibration and tone training options.
Are e-collars effective?
- E-collars can be invaluable training tools, but only when used correctly. If you are unsure about using one or do not know how to start, please consult a professional trainer.
When can I use an e-collar for dogs?
- PetsTEK does not recommend using an e collar for dogs younger than 6 months old. We also recommend supplementing training with a remote trainer only when your dog has already learned the basic commands.
How does the SportTrainer 575 remote e-collar work?
- The SD-575 transmitter remote sends a signal to the receiver collar on the dog’s neck. The collar has two contact points, also called prongs, that deliver static. You can also set the remote to deliver vibration or tone to mark the message you’re sending your pet.
Operating the SportDog SD-575 SportTrainer Remote Training Collar
How do I fit the e-collar?
- Making sure the e collar fits correctly will ensure more consistent correction. To fit the e-collar properly:
- With your dog standing, center the receiver below your dog’s neck.
- Ensure the contact points are touching the skin.
- Check the fit. You should be able to put a finger between the collar strap and your dog’s neck.
If the collar is too loose, it won’t administer correction reliably. Meanwhile, a too-tight collar is an irritation risk. So, make sure your dog is comfortable. Rotate the collar every 2 hours and never leave it for more than 10 hours daily.
How do I charge the SportDog SportTrainer 575?
- To charge your SportTrainer 575 e collar, refer to the steps below:
- Connect the charging connector to the charging jack.
- Plug the charger into a standard wall outlet.
- Charge the transmitter for 2 hours.
- Unplug the charger once the charging is complete, as shown by the full battery icon.
- Lift the rubber covering the charging jack.
- Connect the charging connector to the charging jack.
- Plug the charger into a regular wall outlet.
- Charge the collar for 2 hours.
- Remove the charger once the indicator light blinks green, indicating charging is complete.
How do I turn the SportTrainer 575 e-collar on or off?
- To turn the receiver on, press and release the on/off button between the contact points. The indicator light will come on, and the receiver will beep 1-2 times depending on the chosen stimulation range. The default is 2 (medium).
How to set the stimulation range on my SD-575 remote trainer?
- The SD-575 SportTrainer comes with 2 static stimulation ranges: low and medium. Each range has 10 static stimulation levels, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest. The default setting is 2 or medium.
Follow the steps below to change the range of static stimulation:
- With the receiver collar turned off, turn it on by pressing and releasing the on/off button.
- The indicator light will turn off, and within 5 seconds, hold down the on/off button for 3 seconds.
- The receiver will beep once while the indicator light will flash orange for low stimulation range. If you desire the medium range, hold the button until the number of beeps/flashes equals 2.
- After setting the range, the collar will turn off. If you turn it back on, it will beep according to the chosen stimulation range in Step 3.
How can I program my SportDog SD-575 SportTrainer transmitter?
- The SportTrainer 575 transmitter has two operational modes. The remote is factory set to Mode 1.
To change the mode, follow these steps:
- Refer to the table above and check the available modes.
- Set the level to 1 using the intensity buttons (-/+).
- Find the mode button at the back of the transmitter.
- Press and release the mode button using a pen or the tine on the collar’s buckle.
What does momentary and continuous stimulation mean?
- Momentary stimulation sends a single pulse of stimulation. Continuous will send pulses of stimulation for as long as the button is pressed.
The SD-575 e-collar will time out after 10 seconds, even if the button is pressed longer. This is a safety feature to prevent accidentally overstimulating dogs.
Does the SportTrainer 575 have a tone?
- Yes. The SportDog SD-575 has a tone feature.
How do I pair the SD-575 SportTrainer collar receiver to the transmitter?
- To pair a collar receiver with a new remote transmitter or to reprogram a new collar to work with your existing remote, follow these steps:
- Turn the collar receiver off.
- Press and hold the on/off button. The indicator light of the receiver will power on and turn off after 5 seconds. (Note: If the indicator light is flashing, repeat from Step 1.)
- Release the on/off button after the indicator light comes off.
- Press and hold one of the transmitter's side buttons until the indicator light flashes 5 times.
- Once the receiver indicator light flashes 5 times, the collar is paired and will start flashing as normal. (Note: If the indicator light does not flash 5 times, start over from Step 1.)
Can I add another dog to my SD-575 remote training collar system?
- Yes. The SD-575 is expandable to a 2-dog system by purchasing SportDOG Add-A-Dog collar receivers.
How to add a collar receiver for multi-dog operation?
- You can add another collar to your SD-575 by purchasing a SportDOG Add-A-Dog collar receiver. To program the SportTrainer 575, follow the steps below:
- Program the SportTrainer 575 for multi-dog training:
- Program the second collar receiver and ensure Dog 2 is selected on the transmitter remote:
What are SportDog ID codes?
- A SportDog ID code is the signal identification between the remote transmitter and the collar receiver. Every remote training collar unit is programmed in 1 of the 2,000 ID codes from the factory.
The SportTrainer 575 can program two or more transmitters to the same ID Code, allowing the remotes to control one collar receiver. There are 64 programmable ID Codes available.
How to manually program a SportDog remote transmitter’s ID code?
- To program a remote transmitter’s ID code, here are the steps:
- Set the display to 3 using the intensity buttons (-/+).
- Flip the remote transmitter over and press and release the mode button.
- Using the intensity buttons (-/+), pick a number ID from 1 to 64.
- Your chosen code will flash after 3-5 seconds to confirm the selection.
How to return the unit to the factory set ID?
- To return to the pre-set ID code, follow these steps:
- Set the display to 3 using the intensity buttons (-/+).
- Turn the remote over and press and release the mode button.
- Using the intensity buttons (-/+), select dashes “--”. After 3-5 seconds, the screen will flash, indicating the remote has been reset to the factory-set ID.
How long does the SportDog SD-575 e collar battery last?
- The SD-575 transmitter battery will run for 20-40 hours per full charge, while the receiver battery lasts 50-70 hours per charge.
Is the SportDog SD-575 e collar waterproof?
- Yes. The SportDog SD-575 e collar is fully waterproof.
Can I use the SportDog SD-575 ecollar around saltwater?
- Yes. However, the collar should be rinsed with fresh water following each use.
Why can’t I get the full range on the SD-575 collar?
- The range is affected by terrain, weather, vegetation, and transmission from other radio devices.
Why is the SD-575 remote dial so hard to rotate?
- This is normal and designed to protect from accidental changes in intensity. The knob will be easier to turn as you use it.
Does the SportDog SD-575 remote training collar come with a warranty?
- The SD-575 SportTrainer comes with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
For more information on how to use your SD-575 remote training collar, please check your user manual.Looking for a different SportDog collar? Check out our SportDog buying guide.
You might also enjoy...