The Complete Guide to Using the Pro Educator PE-900 by E-Collar Technologies
E-Collar Technologies is a stalwart presence in the world of dog shock collars. While it’s usually the trendy Mini Educator ET-300 and its big brother the Educator ET-400 that are in the spotlight, other Educator collars deserve attention, too. One of these remote dog trainers is the Pro Educator PE-900 remote dog training collar.
The Pro Educator can be intimidating in name, by this e-collar can be used by average dog owners as much as any professional. The fantastic thing about the PE-900 Pro Educator is it takes modern technology and combines it with everything great about an Educator collar, making it one of the best remote training e-collars today.
A Whole New Level of Dog Training
All the usual bells and whistles that you’d come to expect from a remote training collar are included in the Pro Educator PE-900 system. It comes with static stimulation, vibration, and tone options. You still get momentary and continuous stim, as well as the boost function common in Educator collars.
What sets it apart is the 3 new modes – ramp, ramp boost, and instant.
Ramp lets you increase (or “ramp up”) the preset stimulation level for up to a couple of seconds. In instant mode, the stimulation can be controlled from the dial to last up to 45 seconds. This means that you have even more control over individual dogs and situations while dog training.
The PE-900 Pro Educator also has a computer interface. Provided on a memory stick included in the kit, it allows the stimulation levels to be set from a home computer.
Getting Started with the Pro Educator PE-900 Remote Dog Training Collar
What is the Pro Educator PE-900 remote dog training e collar? The PE-900 is a training collar for dogs. Is the Pro Educator a shock collar? In the simplest of terms, yes, it is a dog shock collar. However, “shock” collar is a bit of a misnomer.
If you have recently purchased the Pro Educator PE-900 remote trainer or are considering getting one for your pet, here’s everything you need to know.
What comes in the box:
- Ergonomic Waterproof Remote Transmitter
- Waterproof Collar Receiver
- 30” x 3/4" Biothane Collar Strap
- Two (2) Sets of Contact Points (5/8” and 3/4")
- Battery Charger
- Contact Points Removal Tool
- Test Light
- Metal Belt Clip
- Quick Start Owner’s Guide
Pro Educator PE-900 Remote Transmitter
The Pro Educator PE-900 transmitter is a black, rectangular remote with rounded edges. The convenient thumb dial makes it easy to control without having to look at the remote all the time. The stimulation level lock is conveniently included to prevent accidental over-stimulation.
The PE-900 remote also controls the tracking light on the receiver collar. This can be set to flash or continuously light up. Another key feature is the transmitter beeper that can be turned on to help locate the transmitter if it gets lost.
Pro Educator PE-900 Receiver Collar
All Educator collars come with a Biothane strap that’s waterproof and easy to clean. The PE-900 receiver collar strap is 3/4” in width and 30” in length. The strap can be cut to size to fit small to large dogs.
The PE-900 Remote Dog Training Collar comes with the following features:
- ½-Mile Range
- 100 Levels of Adjustable Stimulation Levels
- 6 Selectable Levels of Vibration
- 3 Selectable Levels of Tone
- 2 Ramping Modes – 1 Second and 2 Second Ramp Boost
- User Adjustable Boosting Levels
- Patented “I” Mode for Instant Stimulation
- Programmable via USB Computer Interface Tool
- Quick Adjustment Intensity Dial
- Lock and Set Stimulation Feature
- Collar Receiver Light for Night Tracking
- Shock Resistant
- Quick Charge Li-Polymer Batteries
- For Dogs 8 Pounds and Up
The Pro Educator PE-900 is expandable to a 3-Dog system with the purchase of additional collars. It also comes with a 2-Dog version, the PE-902. You can also opt to buy a different colored remote skin if black is not much to your liking.
The PE-900 Pro Educator Remote Dog Training E Collar- a Modern and Innovative dog training solution.
Frequently Asked Questions
Getting started with the Pro Educator PE-900 remote training e-collar is not very complicated. We list down the answers to frequently asked questions, explain basic functions, and help you understand programming features.
What is an e collar?
- An e-collar is a dog training tool that’s also called a remote trainer, remote training collar, or shock collar. It allows you to communicate remotely with your dog. Used correctly, it can help reinforce commands and correct undesirable behaviors in your pet. It provides you the means to train your dog with more precise timing and consistency. This makes an e-collar a very effective training tool.
Will an e collar hurt my dog?
- A remote trainer works by sending a signal from the transmitter to the collar on the dog’s neck. The signal then triggers the stimulation, which can be a static shock. The stimulation is meant to distract the dog from doing something they’re not supposed to or mark the desired behavior. The stimulus may be unpleasant but generally harmless.
The Pro Educator PE-900 also has non-stimulating vibration, tone, and a lock and set technology to control or stop that static stimulation.
Are e-collars effective?
- E-collars can be invaluable training tools, but only when used correctly. Please consult a professional trainer if you are unsure about using one or do not know how to start.
When can I use an e collar for dogs?
- PetsTEK does not recommend using an e collar for dogs younger than six months old. We also recommend supplementing training with a remote trainer only when your dog has already learned the basic commands.
How does the Pro Educator PE-900 e collar work?
- The PE-900 transmitter remote sends a signal to the receiver collar on the dog’s neck. The collar has two contact points or prongs that deliver static. You can also set the remote to deliver vibration or tone to mark the message you’re sending your pet. In highly distracting situations, you can use the boost option.
Is the Pro Educator PE-900 e-collar waterproof?
- Yes, both the remote and the receiver are waterproof and submersible.
Pro Educator, Easy Educator, and Mini Educator – What’s the Difference?
- The Pro Educator, Easy Educator, and Mini Educator are remote training e-collars with a ½ mile range. They all have static, vibration, and tone.
Both the PE-900 and the EZ-900, however, come with an instant mode feature that lets you adjust the static correction on the fly. It has adjustable levels of vibration and tone, and these can all be changed from a Windows-based computer.
Unlike the ET-300 Mini Educator which comes with a black version and an Educator Zen 300 version, both the PE-900 and EZ-900 only come with one color design remote. They also come with a rectangular transmitter rather than a round one like the Mini Educator.
When it comes to expandability, the ET-300 system is only expandable to 2 dogs. The PE-900 can be expanded to 3 dogs. The EZ-900, meanwhile, can handle up to 4 dogs.
Does the PE-900 Pro Educator have a tone?
- Yes, it does.
How to Set Up and Use PE-900 Pro Educator Remote Training Collar
Where should an e-collar sit on a dog’s neck?
- The collar should be adjusted to allow the contact points to have direct contact with the skin. A couple of fingers should fit between the collar and the dog’s skin. Tightly placed collars may cause irritations and discomfort. The best position of the collar should be on either side of the dog’s trachea or windpipe.
How to charge the PE-900 Pro Educator?
- The charging port on both the PE-900 transmitter and receiver can be found at the back. Lift the battery cover flap and insert the micro USB into the remote and the charge plug into the collar. You can charge the remote and e collar at the same time.
Battery care guidelines:
- Charge the unit on or before the low battery indication.
- Store the e-collar with at least a 50% charge.
- Store the e-collar in a cool, dry place.
How do you know when the PE-900 Easy Educator needs charging?
- The battery level is displayed on the LCD. When it shows only one (1) bar remaining, it’s time to charge the remote trainer.
- On the receiver collar, the red light will start blinking once the battery is low and in need of charging.
How long is the charging time for the Pro Educator PE-900 e-collar?
- The charging time is approximately 2 hours.
How long does the battery charge last for the Pro Educator PE-900 e-collar?
- One full charge can last up to 30 hours, depending on actual usage.
How do you turn the Easy Educator PE-900 on and off?
- Transmitter – Press the lower right button for one (1) second to turn the remote ON. Press the same button for two (2) seconds to turn OFF.
- Receiver – Place the red dot on the collar receiver on the red dot on the transmitter remote for one (1) second to turn the collar ON/OFF.
What does the Pro Educator Buttons mean?
- The Pro Educator PE-900 remote trainer has four (4) control buttons. These can be configured to any of the seven (7) stimulation modes, vibration, or tone.
- Additionally, there are two (2) program buttons for changing modes (“P”) and turning the device on and off.
The factory default button settings are as follows:
S1 – Momentary
S2 – Continuous
S3 – Vibration
S4 – Tone
How do you set the stimulation level of your Pro Educator PE-900 e-collar?
- Rotate the stimulation level dial clockwise or counter-clockwise to increase or decrease the stimulation level.
How do you lock and unlock the stimulation levels of the PE-900?
- Press “P” for more than one (1) second to enter programming mode. The icons on the LCD will blink and “PR” will be displayed.
- Press the button you’re adjusting the level for until “M” or “C” is displayed.
- Rotate the stimulation dial to the desired level.
- Push the control button for one (1) second until the icon stops flashing.
- Press “P” to save and exit.
What do M and C mean on the Educator e collar?
- The Pro Educator PE-900 remote training e-collar comes with five (5) types of stimulation- Momentary (M), Momentary Boost (M+), Continuous (C), Continuous Boost (C+), and Instant Mode (I).
How to program control buttons on the PE-900 e-collar?
- Start by pressing the “P” button for one (1) second until the LCD starts flashing “PR.”
- Press the “S1” button. Keep pressing until you see the function you want to assign to that button. The sequence is as follows:
V > T > M > M+ > C > C+ > R > R+ > I
- Press “P” to return the collar to active use.
What is the maximum duration for stimulation using the Pro Educator PE-900?
- Continuous Stimulation “C” – 10 seconds
- Continuous Boosted Stimulation “C+” – 10 seconds
- Ramp “R” and Ramp Plus “R+” – 10 seconds
- Instant Stimulation “I” – 45 seconds
- Vibration and Tone – 30 seconds
What is instant stimulation mode?
- Instant stimulation is a patented feature. It works by gradually increasing the stimulation set by the user. This is particularly helpful in removing the startling effect usually associated with constant stimulation.
How to set up Instant mode on the Pro Educator?
- Pick the button you want to assign the Instant mode to.
- Push the assigned button until “On” is flashed on the LCD.
- Turn the stimulation to activate the stimulation setting of the dial. This will continue for 45 seconds.
- Press any button or wait 45 seconds to exit. A beep will signal that “I” mode has timed out.
- Returning the dial to “0” will reset the 45-second timer.
- The “I” mode automatically turns off when the dial isn’t moved for 45 seconds. You will need to push the control button again to re-activate the “I” feature.
- Pushing any other button will turn “I” mode off.
How to exit Instant mode on the Pro Educator?
- Press any button or wait for the 45-second time out.
How does the boost function of the Pro Educator PE-900 e collar work?
- In addition to Momentary and Continuous, your Educator collar also comes with a Boost function which sends extra stimulation. This is usually recommended for high-distraction situations or particularly stubborn dogs.
The default boost level is 5. You can adjust this level to between 1 and 60. When using boost, your dog will receive a shock equal to the set stimulation level plus the boosted level. For example, your e-collar is set to level 10, and the boost is at level 5. Your dog will receive 10+5.
How do you set up boost on the Pro Educator PE-900 e collar?
- Press “P” for one (1) second to enter Programming Mode. The LCD icons will blink and “PR” will be displayed.
- Press the ON/OFF button once to enter the “Boost Level Setup Mode.” The + icon will be displayed on the LCD.
- Rotate the dial to the desired boost level.
- Press the stimulation button to save.
- Press “P” again to exit.
How to activate the light on my PE-900 Pro Educator collar?
- Press “P” for more than one (1) second to enter Programming Mode. The LCD icons will blink and “PR” will be displayed.
- Press the ON/OFF button twice to select the light icon . “Lc” will be displayed.
- Press the control button assigned.
- Press the “P” button again to exit.
How to activate lost transmitter mode on my Pro Educator collar?
- Press “P” for more than one (1) second to enter Programming Mode. The LCD icons will blink and “PR” will be displayed.
- Press the ON/OFF button three (3) times to select the remote icon.
- Press any control button to turn it ON/OFF.
- Press the “P” button again to exit.
How do you sync the receiver collar to the transmitter remote of your PE-900 Pro Educator e collar?
- Whether you’re pairing and syncing the receiver collar for the first time or replacing the collar, the steps are the same.
- Confirm that Multi Dog Mode Indicator is 1 Dog Mode.
- Press the “P” button for more than 1 second.
- Check that you are in Programming Mode. The LCD icons should be blinking and “PR” is displayed.
- Press the ON/OFF button four times. This button will be displayed:
- Turn the collar receiver off. Hold the magnet for 5 seconds until the green light on the collar flashes quickly.
- Press any of the control buttons (S1 to S4) to pair the collar with the remote.
- Press “P” again to save and exit.
How do you add another collar to the PE-900 Pro Educator?
- To pair or sync a second receiver collar, press the ON/OFF button and the S1 button to change from 1-dog (1D) to 2-dog (2D). Then follow the steps listed previously.
- To add dog number 3, change from 2-dog to 3-dog by pressing ON/OFF + S1. Three short beeps will confirm the change from 2D to 3D. Then follow the previous pairing/syncing steps again.
How can you replace the Educator collar contact points?
- Using the included contact point tool, loosen the contact points by rotating counter-clockwise. Install the replacement prongs and tighten them by turning clockwise.
More Questions and Answers
How to choose the right contact points for my dog?
- The prongs or contact points need to penetrate through the dog’s fur and touch their skin to provide reliable stimulation. Your Educator collar comes with the standard 5/8” contact points, which is best for dogs with medium fur. If your dog has longer fur, consider getting the ¾” contact points.
Breeds like Pit Bull Terriers, Boxers, Dachshunds, or Dobermans can use micro probes (3/8”) because of their very short hair. Meanwhile, Huskies, Malamutes, and Newfoundland have thick to very thick fur and extra-long contact points (1”) will be better.
Does the Pro Educator PE-000 have any safety features?
- Yes. The Pro Educator PE-900 remote dog training e-collar comes with a “Lock and Set” feature to ensure you don’t change stimulation levels unknowingly. This feature is in place to prevent accidental over-stimulation of your pet.
Why can’t I get the full range on my e-collar?
- The 1/2-mile range is more than enough for most dog training. However, the actual range may vary according to terrain, weather conditions, foliage, power lines, and radio transmissions from other devices. For best results, hold the transmitter away from your body. Please do not touch the antenna as it will significantly reduce range.
Is the Pro Educator expandable?
- Yes, with the purchase of additional collars. Please see the expansion and pairing instructions above.
Does the PE-900 Pro Educator come with a warranty?
- Yes. The Pro Educator remote trainer comes with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
How to register your Educator collar for warranty?
- Go to the “Products” section of the E-Collar Technologies website. Click the “Register Your E-Collar Products” tab. Complete the form.
- Alternatively, you can fill out the warranty registration card and mail or fax it to E-Collar Technologies.
For more information on using your Pro Educator PE-900 remote training collar, please check the user EZ Educator 900 manual.
Looking for a different Educator collar? Check out our handy guide.