The Complete Guide to Using the UL-1200 Upland Educator by E-Collar Technologies
Hunting dogs are a big part of what makes hunting fun. The athleticism of dogs contributes a lot on the field and their enthusiasm is unparalleled. Hunting breeds are also some of the more popular pets in America.
Hunting dog training can be quicker and easier with the right training tools. Enter the UL-1200 Upland Educator remote training collar by E-Collar Technologies. Specifically designed for upland hunting dogs, the UL-1200 is a versatile remote trainer with all the features you need to make hunting dog training a success.
Getting Started with the Upland Educator UL-1200
What is the UL-1200 Upland Educator? The UL-1200 is an e collar for dogs. E collars, also called remote trainers, shock collars, or remote training collars, are tools that help in correcting undesirable behavior in dogs. An e-collar can also help reinforce already learned commands. Because they work well even at a distance, e-collars are great for fostering better communication and thus improving the relationships between pets and their owners.
If you’ve just purchased a UL-1200 or are looking to get one for your beloved hunting companion, here’s everything you need to know.
What comes in the box:
- Waterproof Floating Remote Transmitter
- Waterproof Collar Receiver with 1” Biothane Strap
- Dual Battery Charger (120V/240V)
- Charger Splitter Cable
- Two (2) Sets of Contact Points – 3/4” and 5/8”
- Contact Point Removal Tool
- Test Light
- Belt Clip
- Owner’s Manual
- Storage Box
Upland Educator UL-1200 Remote Transmitter:
The UL-1200 Upland Educator comes with a hunter orange color remote transmitter for added visibility.
Upland Educator UL-1200 Receiver Collar:
The receiver collar comes with a 1” Biothane strap. If your dog has a smaller-size neck, the strap can easily be cut to size. Like the remote transmitter, the strap is a hunter orange color.
The UL-1200 Upland Educator remote training collar comes with the following features:
- 1-Mile Range
- 0-100 Adjustable Stimulation Levels
- 60 Additional Boost Levels
- Control of Stimulation (COS) Technology
- 3 Stimulation Modes – Momentary, Continuous, and Combo Mode
- Pavlovian Tone
- Lock and Set Stimulation Safety Feature
- Collar Receiver Light
- Fully Waterproof
- Rapid Charge Li-Polymer Batteries
- Expandable to 2-Dog System
The UL-1200 Upland Educator – Go Further and Do More
Educator collars are mostly known for the highly popular ET-300 Mini Educator remote training collar. And why not? The distinctive yellow ET-300 remote may look tiny, but it surely gets the job done. If yellow is not to your liking, it even comes in a black variant and an Educator Zen 300 design. The shock collar is so well-loved that pet owners choose to ignore the “mini” in the name and would get it for their bigger dogs. (Incidentally, there is a big brother to the ET-300, the ET-400 Educator e collar.)
But if you are training a hunting dog, you’d want an Educator collar that is designed specifically for that purpose. That is what the Upland Educator UL-1200 is.
Like other Educator dog collars, the UL-1200 has 100 levels of static stimulation, 60 levels of additional boost, and tone. With a range of 1 mile, the Upland Educator can more than keep up when out in the field.
The UL-1200 Upland Educator is an excellent choice for field and hunting dog training.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an e-collar?
- An e-collar, sometimes stylized as ecollar or e collar, is a dog training tool. It’s also called a remote trainer, remote training collar, or shock collar. It allows you to communicate remotely with your dog. Used correctly, it can help reinforce commands and correct undesirable behaviors in your pet. It provides you the means to train your dog with more precise timing and consistency. This makes an e-collar a very effective training tool.
Will an e collar hurt my dog?
- A remote trainer works by sending a signal from the transmitter to the collar on the dog’s neck. The signal then triggers the stimulation in the form of static shock. The stimulation is meant to distract the dog from doing something they’re not supposed to or mark the desired behavior. The stimulation may be unpleasant but generally harmless.
For people who prefer not to use static, the UL-1200 also comes with vibration and tone training options.
Are e-collars effective?
- E-collars can be invaluable training tools, but only when used correctly. If you are unsure about using one or do not know how to start, please consult with a professional trainer.
When can I use an e collar for dogs?
- PetsTEK does not recommend using an e collar for dogs younger than 6 months old. We also recommend supplementing training with a remote trainer only when your dog has already learned the basic commands.
Are Educator collars worth it?
- Educator collars by E-Collar Technologies are highly reliable and effective if used correctly and as intended. It has a good range and is packed with features that make it worth your money.
How does the UL-1200 Upland Educator work?
- The UL-1200 transmitter remote sends a signal to the receiver collar on the dog’s neck. The collar has two contact points or prongs that deliver static. You can also set the remote to deliver vibration or tone to mark the message you’re sending your pet. In highly distracting situations, you can use the boost option.
Does the UL-1200 Upland Educator have any safety features?
- The UL-1200 Upland Educator remote training collar comes with a “Lock and Set” feature to ensure you don’t change stimulation levels unknowingly.
The collar is also set to time out automatically after 10 seconds of continuous stimulation.
These features are in place to prevent accidental over-stimulation of your pet.
What is the difference between the popular Mini Educator ET-300 and the Upland Educator UL-1200?
- Both the ET-300 and UL-1200 Educator collars have a stopwatch-style remote transmitter. However, the UL-1200 comes in a bright orange color that is ideal in hunting situations. The UL-1200 also has a longer range at 1-Mile versus the ½-Mile of the ET-300.
Operating the UL-1200 Upland Educator Collar
How do I fit the e-collar?
- Making sure the e collar fits correctly will ensure more consistent correction. To fit the e-collar properly:
- Put the receiver on your dog’s neck below the ears, on the side of the windpipe.
- Make sure the contact points are touching the skin.
- Check the fit. You should be able to put a couple of fingers between the strap and your dog’s skin.
If the collar is too loose, it won’t administer correction reliably. Meanwhile, a too-tight collar is an irritation risk. So, make sure your dog is comfortable. Rotate the collar every 2 hours and never leave it on for more than 10 hours every day.
Charging your the UL-1200 Upland Educator e-collar
- Before using your UL-1200 Upland Educator collar, make sure the remote and transmitter batteries are fully charged. The charging port can be found at the back of the remote transmitter and collar receiver. Simply lift the flap and attach the dual charger.
The light will turn RED during charging cycles. Once fully charged, the light will turn GREEN. Charging time takes approximately 2 hours.
How do I turn the UL-1200 Upland Educator e-collar on?
- Collar Receiver: Press the On/Off button until the green LED lights on the collar receiver.
- Transmitter Remote: Press the “L” button for 2 seconds to turn it on. Press and hold for 2 seconds to turn off.
Note: If the transmitter is already on, a short press of the “L” button will activate the tracking light of the collar.
How do I pair or sync the UL-1200 Upland Educator remote and collar?
- To pair or sync your UL-1200 Upland Educator, follow these steps:
- Turn the transmitter remote on.
- Dial the intensity down to 0.
- Make sure the receiver collar is off.
- Put the red dot on the transmitter against the red dot on the receiver for 5 seconds or until the green light changes from solid to flashing.
- Press the black “S” button and then the red “S” button. Hold for 2 seconds until you hear the confirmation sound.
Why can’t I get the full range on my e-collar?
- Actual range may be affected by training conditions including weather and terrain. For best results, hold the transmitter away from your body. Do not touch the antenna as it will greatly reduce range.
How do I know if my UL-1200 Upland Educator e-collar is ready for use?
- Check the LCD on your UL-1200 If turned on, the LCD will display the settings.
How do I know if my UL-1200 Upland Educator e-collar is ready for adjustment?
- A flashing “1D” on the LCD screen indicates the stimulation can be adjusted.
How to lock/unlock UL-1200 Upland Educator e-collar
- Set the desired stimulation level and press the top of the stimulation dial until “1D” is displayed on the top portion of the LCD. If “1D” is flashing, the e-collar is unlocked. To lock, press the knob again.
How do I know if my UL-1200 Upland Educator e-collar is locked?
- When locked, “1D” on the LCD screen will be solid instead of flashing. Check by rotating the stimulation knob. If the level does not change, the device Is successfully locked.
How to set the stimulation level on my UL-1200 Upland Educator remote trainer?
- Rotate the stimulation level lock at the top of the remote to set the stimulation level. Rotating clockwise increases the level while counter-clockwise lowers it.
How can I switch stimulation modes in my UL-1200?
- The UL-1200 remote has an “M/C” button at the back. This allows you to change between the three stimulation modes as needed. When in combo Momentary/Continuous mode, the LCD screen will show both “M” and “C” on the screen. When in Momentary, only “M” is displayed on the screen. In Continuous mode only, the “C” is displayed.
- To change the mode, press and hold the M/C button for 2 seconds. A beep will signal that you have entered change mode. Press and release the M/C button to toggle between modes.
What does momentary and continuous stimulation mean?
- Momentary stimulation sends a single pulse of stimulation. Continuous will send pulses of stimulation for as long as the button is pressed, timing out after 10 seconds.
Can I change stimulation levels while pressing the remote buttons?
- Not when using momentary stimulation. However, when on continuous stimulation mode, the stimulation level can be increased or decreased while the button is being pressed.
What is the tapping sensation on the UL-1200 Upland Educator?
- Tapping refers to vibration and is best for sensitive or hearing-impaired dogs.
Does the UL-1200 Upland Educator have tone?
- Yes. The “T” button on the remote can be set up to administer vibration or tone. Please note, however, that pressing the tone button for more than 1.2 seconds will trigger continuous stimulation. For tone only, release the button before 1.2 seconds is up.
How to change from Tapping (Vibration) to Tone Stimulation
- Your UL-1200 Upland Educator is set to Tapping by default. To change to Tone, set the intensity level to 0. Then press the “L” and “T” buttons simultaneously.
Single Beep + “A” icon = Tone followed by Stimulation
Double Beep + “T” icon = Tapping Sensation
How does the boost function of the UL-1200 Upland Educator work?
- The default boost level is 5. You can adjust this level to between 1 and 60. When using boost, your dog will receive a shock equal to the set stimulation level plus the boosted level. For example, your e-collar is set to level 10 and the boost is at level 5. Your dog will receive 10+5.
How do I set up boost on the UL-1200 Upland Educator ecollar?
- Follow the following steps:
- Make sure the remote is on Momentary Mode. (If not, press the M/C button until “M” is displayed on the screen.)
- Dial the intensity down to 0.
- Press the black “S” button for 5 seconds until the intensity level changes from “0” to a flashing “1.”
- Rotate the dial to the desired boost level.
- Press the black “S” button to save and exit.
How do I trigger the boost function of the UL-1200 Upland Educator?
- To use the momentary boost, press the black “S” button first. Then press the red “S” button without releasing the black.
For continuous boost, press the red “S” button first. Then the black “S” button without releasing the red.
This may take some practice.
How do I activate the night tracking on my UL-1200 Upland Educator?
- Find the “L” button at the back of your UL-1200 remote. Press for half a second to turn the night tracking light on. The light will be flashing. To enter solid mode, press the button again. Pressing the button again after this will turn the light off.
How can I turn the UL_1200 Lost Transmitter Mode on?
- To turn lost transmitter mode on, set the intensity level to 0. Then press the “L” button and the black “S” button simultaneously. Once the locator timer is on, you will hear 3 short beeps. This activates the 6-hour timer.
The lost transmitter mode is automatically turned off when the transmitter is turned off and back on again.
Can I add another dog to my UL-1200 remote training collar system?
- Yes, the UL-1200 is expandable to a 3-dog system. It also comes in a 2-dog system, the UL-1202.
How can I add another collar to my UL-1200 remote?
- To add another dog to your UL-1200, simply turn the remote on. Press the red “S” button, then the black “S” button, and finally the “T” button. Hold all three simultaneously for 2 seconds or until the confirmation beep is heard. This changes your remote to a 2-dog remote.
Then follow the pairing/syncing steps outlined previously to pair the additional collar with the transmitter.
How can I change my UL-1200 back to a 1-dog remote system?
- To change back to a single-dog system, turn the remote on. Press the red “S” button, then the black “S” button, and finally the “T” button. Hold all three simultaneously for 2 seconds or until the confirmation beep is heard.
How can I replace the Upland Educator contact points?
- Using the included contact point tool, loosen the contact points by rotating counter-clockwise. Install the replacement prongs and tighten them by rotating clockwise.
How long does the UL-1200 e collar battery last?
- One full charge can last between 40-60 hours. An Educator collar battery typically lasts 3-5 years. However, please note that this can vary depending on usage. Battery life also deteriorates over time.
Does the UL-1200 Upland Educator come with a warranty?
- The Upland Educator comes with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
For more information on how to use your UL-1200 Upland Educator remote training collar, please check the user manual.
Looking for a different Educator collar? Find what you need with the help of our Educator buying guide.