How to Use the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS Remote Training Collar
Ecollars have been gaining recognition as nifty tools in dog training. These training devices are equipped with cutting-edge technologies in keeping with the demands of the times.
One such dog training collar is the latest Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS. The Dogtra 1900S Series is known for its versatility, which makes it perfect for diverse training conditions and long-range control.
Dogtra is not only famous for its remote training collars but also other ecollars such as no bark collars and hunting collars. They have also developed GPS collars with a tracking and training combo like the Dogtra Pathfinder2.
This article will discuss one of the most versatile Dogtra e-collars with the latest HANDSFREE SQUARE feature - the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS remote training collar.
Getting Started with the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS
What is the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS? The Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS is an e-collar with a unique hands-free control for multitasking and discreet training. E-collars are training aids to correct undesirable dog behaviors and reinforce learned commands. These are also known as remote training collars, remote trainers, or dog shock collars.
E-collars are excellent for basic obedience, service training, and hunting. They are handy tools to simultaneously teach impulse control while bonding with your dogs.
If you’ve just gotten the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS or are looking to purchase one for your beloved furry companion, here’s everything you need to know.
What comes in the box:
- HANDSFREE SQUARE
- Handheld Transmitter
- Collar Receiver
- Battery Charger
- Splitter Cable
- Metal Belt Clip
- Test Light
- Owner’s Manual
Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS Remote Transmitter
The Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS remote transmitter is expandable that allows you to pair up to 14 HANDSFREE SQUARES. This permits multiple users to engage in training your dogs, such as with your family or a trainer.
The transmitter’s LCD screen display signifies the stimulation level and battery life. The 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS has a patented rheostat dial for easy and precise adjustments up to 127 stimulation levels. You can choose either of the three training functions during training: momentary nick, constant, and vibration.
The Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS transmitter is fully waterproof, rechargeable, and has a checkered grip for non-slip operation.
Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS Receiver Collar
The Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS receiver collar is ergonomically designed to fit comfortably on your dog’s neck. The collar strap can fit a neck size of up 26 inches. The receiver allows low to high power stimulation with enhanced contact points.
The durable receiver is IPX9K waterproof certified that can withstand demanding training and weather conditions. This makes it an excellent choice for all occasions, hunting or park walks.
Rechargeable Lithium-Polymer batteries power the receiver collar with a 2-hour quick charge for manageable downtime.
HANDSFREE SQUARE Feature
The HANDSFREE SQUARE is a hands-free controller that allows you to control the transmitter remotely. You can send stimulation to your dog through the receiver collar by pressing the SQUARE button. You can set the SQUARE according to your preferred training mode. The SQUARE has a label to indicate the coded function you want to use: nick, constant, or vibration.
Its compact design allows you to have discreet control in training your dog, especially in public settings or when you need to multitask. You can fasten the HANDSFREE SQUARE around your wrist, palm, or finger for a single-finger operation.
The HANDSFREE SQUARE functions within 33 feet of the handheld transmitter and works well in extreme conditions between -4 °F to 140 °F.
The Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS remote training collar comes with the following features:
- 3/4-Mile Range
- 127 Stimulation Levels
- Nick/Constant Stimulation
- HPP (High-Performance Pager) Vibration
- HANDSFREE SQUARE for Remote, Hands-Free Access
- Expandable up to 14 HANDSFREE SQUARES
- LCD Screen Display
- Slim Receiver Design
- Non-Slip Grip Transmitter
- Enhanced Contact Points
- 2-hour Rapid Charge Li-Polymer Batteries
- IPX9K Waterproof Certified
- Replaceable Lithium Coin Battery for HANDSFREE SQUARE
- For Dogs as Small as 35 Pounds
*HANDSFREE SQUARE is not waterproof.
The Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS – For Multitasking and Discreet, Hands-Free Control
The Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS combines the features of the original 1900S ecollar with a unique HANDSFREE SQUARE, which allows control of the transmitter remotely. The SQUARE offers discreet and fingertip control with its compact design, giving you an option to multitask while training.
Unlike the 1900S Handsfree, this advanced model is expandable up to 14 HANDSFREE SQUARES, allowing for diverse training scenarios. This new feature allows multiple users to access its features as long as they are within 33 feet of the transmitter.
This Dogtra training collar works within a ¾-mile range, which is suitable for obedience training, K9 training, and hunting in the field. It renders up to 127 stimulation levels using nick/constant stimulation and comes with an HPP vibration system.
Both its transmitter and receiver are fully waterproof, but the HANDSFREE SQUARE is not. However, a replaceable coin lithium battery comes with the unit on purchase. The 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS is perfect for dogs as small as 35 lbs with mild to stubborn temperaments.
The Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS offers discreet, hands-free operation and the freedom to multitask while training your dog.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an e collar?
- An e collar is a dog training tool that’s also called a remote trainer, remote training collar, or shock collar for dogs. It allows you to communicate remotely with your dog. Used correctly, it can help reinforce commands and correct undesirable behaviors in your pet. It provides you the means to train your dog with more precise timing and consistency. This makes an e-collar a very effective dog training tool.
Will an e collar hurt my dog?
- A remote trainer works by sending a signal from the transmitter to the collar on the dog’s neck. The signal then triggers the stimulation, which can be in the form of static shock. The stimulation is meant to distract the dog from doing something they’re not supposed to or mark the desired behavior. The stimulation may be unpleasant but generally harmless.
For people who prefer not to use static stimulation, the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS also comes with a vibration system.
Are e-collars effective?
- E-collars can be invaluable training tools, but only when used correctly. If you are unsure about using one or do not know how to start, please consult with a professional trainer.
When can I use an e collar for dogs?
- PetsTEK does not recommend using an e collar for dogs younger than 6 months old. We also recommend supplementing training with a remote trainer only when your dog has already learned the basic commands.
Are Dogtra collars worth it?
- Yes. Dogtra shock collars are safe and effective training devices trusted by professional dog trainers and pet owners alike.
How does the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS work?
- The Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS transmitter remote sends a signal to the receiver collar on the dog’s neck. The collar has two contact points, also called prongs, that deliver static stimulation. You can also set the remote to deliver vibration to mark the message you’re sending your pet. In highly distracting situations, you can use the boost option.
You can also send stimulation to your dog through the HANDSFREE SQUARE so long within 33 feet from the transmitter. The SQUARE must be set to a distinct training mode, such as nick or vibration.
Does the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS have any safety features?
- Yes. The Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS has a safety feature wherein the stimulation stops automatically if the button is pressed for over 12 seconds to avoid overstimulation.
What is the difference between the Dogtra 1900S Handsfree and 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS?
- The Dogtra 1900S Handsfree can pair only one HANDSFREE SQUARE to one transmitter, while the 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS can pair up to 14 HANDSFREE SQUARES to one transmitter.
Operating the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS Remote Training Collar
How do I fit the e-collar?
- Making sure the e collar fits correctly will ensure more consistent correction. To fit the e-collar properly:
- Put the receiver on your dog’s neck below the ears, on the side of the windpipe.
- Make sure the contact points are touching the skin.
- Check the fit. You should be able to put a couple of fingers between the strap and your dog’s skin.
If the collar is too loose, it won’t administer correction reliably. Meanwhile, a too tight collar is an irritation risk. So, make sure your dog is comfortable. Rotate the collar every 2 hours and never leave it on for more than 10 hours every day.
How do I charge the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS e-collar?
- Recharge the unit if the indicator light turns red or does not come on, the transmitter LCD shows only 1 bar on the indicator, or the system will not stay on when any button is pressed.
- Open the rubber plugs on the battery charging receptacles and plug in the charging cable.
- All indicator lights should glow red when properly plugged in, and the unit will automatically shut off during the charging process.
- The lights will turn green once the unit is fully charged. Charging time will take approximately 2 hours.
When should I replace the battery in my HANDSFREE SQUARE?
- Replace the battery in the HANDSFREE SQUARE when the LED no longer blinks.
How do I turn the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS e-collar transmitter on and off?
- To turn the transmitter on, press the button on the right side of the transmitter until the LCD screen lights up. To turn the transmitter off, press the same button until the LCD screen shuts off.
How do I turn the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS e-collar receiver on and off?
- To turn the receiver on, press the on/off button until the LED indicator turns green. To turn the receiver off, press the on/off button until the LED indicator turns red.
How to fasten the HANDSFREE SQUARE Strap?
- The HANDSFREE SQUARE strap can be fastened to your fingers, wrist, palm, or around a gun stock.
- Wrap the strap around the object you want to fasten it to. Pull the strap through the lower section of the buckle and use the notch to keep the HANDSFREE SQUARE in place.
- Loop the strap back through the top section of the buckle.
How to change the HANDSFREE SQUARE Setting?
- The default stimulation for the HANDSFREE SQUARE is Constant mode. To change the stimulation or add more HANDSFREE SQUARES, follow these steps:
- You should turn off the transmitter first.
- On the transmitter, press the following buttons to set the desired setting on the HANDSFREE SQUARE.
- For Nick, press the on/off button and Nick.
- For Constant, press the on/off button and Constant.
For Pager, press the on/off button and Pager.
How do I adjust the stimulation level of my Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS e-collar?
- Adjust the stimulation level using the Rheostat Dial on the top of the transmitter, with stimulation levels from 0 to 127. Adjust the setting (upward or downward) depending on your dog’s temperament. Always start at the lowest level and work your way up. The appropriate level can be found when the dog responds to the stimulation with a mild reaction.
Can the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS stimulation intensity be adjusted when in use?
- Yes, the 1900S Handsfree Plus stimulation intensity can be adjusted when in use.
Why can’t I get the full range on my e-collar?
- The 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS has a 3/4-mile range. The range may vary depending on the way you use your transmitter. To get the maximum range, hold the transmitter with the antenna facing away from you. Keep your unit properly charged for maximum signal strength.
- If using the HANDSFREE SQUARE, the transmitter’s antenna should be kept in the open for maximum range. The HANDSFREE SQUARE should be within 33 feet of the transmitter to work.
How do I know if my Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS e-collar is ready for use?
- When the LED indicator flashes every 4 seconds, the receiver is on and ready for use. The LED indicator will blink on both the transmitter and the receiver when the transmitter buttons are pressed.
What do Nick and Constant stimulation mean?
- Nick emits a single pulse of static stimulation when the Nick button is pressed. On the other hand, Constant gives continuous, static stimulation as long as the button is pressed, for up to 12 seconds.
What is the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS Pager?
- The Pager button sends a vibration for as long as the button is held down, up to 12 seconds.
Can I change stimulation levels while pressing the remote buttons?
Troubleshooting the Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS Remote Training Collar
1. Why is my dog not reacting to the e-collar?
Your dog not reacting to the e-collar stimulation could be a simple matter of the receiver and transmitter not being turned on. It could also be due to the prongs not touching your dog’s skin. Check the fit. If the fit is okay, check the prong length. If the contact points are too short, you may want to get longer ones to get the collar to work correctly. If you are already using the longest length, you may want to consider shaving your dog’s hair to get better contact.
Check our blog for more reasons why your dog is not reacting to the e-collar.
2. The test light turns on, but I do not feel anything.
You may simply have a high tolerance. Try turning the level up. This could also be due to the battery being low. Check your LCD for battery life.
The range is less when the dog is farther away.
Check if the antenna is not damaged. If it’s not an antenna issue, it could be due to terrain. Heavy brush or tree cover can affect the range of the device. Similarly, any electrical conductors in the area will affect the range of the e-collar.
3. My Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS is not holding a charge.
Check if the batteries are charged properly. If the charging port is dirty, try cleaning the dirt with a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol. If the charging pin is damaged, you will need to contact Dogtra for repair.
For more information on how to use your Dogtra 1900S HANDSFREE PLUS remote training collar, please check the user manual.
Looking for a different Dogtra collar? Find what you need with the help of our Dogtra E-Collar Buying Guide.