How to Use the SportDog YardTrainer 300 Remote Training Collar
SportDOG is a leading manufacturer of shock collars for dogs. What sets them apart is their commitment to providing effective and humane training solutions. Whether you're training a hunting dog or simply working on basic obedience, SportDOG has the perfect e-collar for your needs.
This blog will discuss one such dog training collar – the SportDOG YardTrainer 300 (YT-300). This guide will help you navigate the ins and outs of this SportDog e-collar to ensure you get optimal results.
Why Buy SportDOG YardTrainer 300 from PetsTEK
PetsTEK is an authorized reseller of SportDog training collars. With PetsTEK, every secure purchase entitles you to:
- Free Shipping
- 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Top-Notch Customer Support
Buying your SportDog e-collar from PetsTEK also entitles you to the full manufacturer warranty.
For a limited time, your SportDog YT-300 remote dog training collar purchase includes a free e-collar training e-book.
Getting Started with the YardTrainer YT-300
What is the YardTrainer 300? The YardTrainer 300 is an e-collar for dogs. An e-collar is also called a shock collar, a remote trainer, or a remote training collar.
Remote training collars are excellent tools to correct undesirable behavior and reinforce dog commands. They can also be used to teach advanced skills necessary for specialized canine tasks. These collars provide pet owners a safe and humane way to train their dogs. With an e collar, you can communicate with your dog from a distance, which is especially helpful outdoors.
If you’ve just gotten the YardTrainer 300 or want to purchase one for your beloved companion, here’s everything you need to know.
What comes in the box:
- Remote Transmitter
- Collar Receiver
- Charge Cable
- Standard Contact Points
- Long Contact Points
- Test Light Tool
- Operating Guide
- Basic Training Manual
SportDog YT-300 YardTrainer Remote Transmitter:
The YardTrainer YT-300 remote transmitter has a compact design, making it easy to carry around. The device offers multiple training options, including 7 levels of static stimulation, vibration, and tone.
With its DryTek Technology, you don’t have to worry about the device getting damaged in water. The YT-300 remote is waterproof and submersible up to 25 feet. Moreover, its intuitive operation lets you train your dog without looking at your device all the time. This allows you to focus your attention on your dog during training sessions.
SportDog YT-300 YardTrainer Receiver Collar:
The YardTrainer YT-300 collar receiver is perfect for small dog breeds as small as 8 pounds. Its slim-profile design ensures that it fits snugly around your dog’s neck without causing any discomfort.
With its waterproof feature, you can rest assured that the receiver collar will function properly, even in wet conditions. With the YT-300, you can enjoy quality time with your dog, no matter the weather.
The SportDog YT-300 remote training collar comes with the following features:
- 300-Yard Range
- 7 Levels of Static Stimulation
- Dedicated Tone Button
- Vibration on the Dial
- Slim-Profile Collar
- DryTek Waterproof Design
- 1-Dog System Only
- 2-Hour Quick Charge Lithium-Ion Batteries
- LED Charge Battery Indicator
- For Dogs as Small as 8 Pounds
- Fits Necks 5" - 22"
The SportDog YardTrainer 300 – Obedience Training Made Simple
The SportDog YardTrainer 300 is the ultimate training device for you and your four-legged companion. With a 300-yard range, you can maintain control whether you're in your backyard, at home, or out in the park.
The system is packed with premium features typically found in more expensive models. Enjoy long battery life, multiple levels of stimulation, and a variety of training modes to match your dog’s personality.
Thanks to its DryTek Technology, this SportDog collar boasts exceptional durability. This ensures that any splashing or accidental water exposure won’t be a concern during training. This shock collar is also incredibly user-friendly, making it easy to operate without distraction.
Keep your attention on your furry friend with this SportDog YT-300 ecollar designed to simplify training and deepen your bond.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an e collar?
- An e collar is a dog training tool that’s also called a remote trainer, remote training collar, or shock collar. It helps you communicate remotely with your dog. Used correctly, it can help reinforce commands and correct undesirable behaviors in your pet. It allows you to train your dog with more precise timing and consistency. This makes an e-collar a very effective training tool.
Will an e-collar hurt my dog?
- A remote trainer works by sending a signal from the transmitter to the collar on the dog’s neck. The signal then triggers the stimulation, which can be in the form of static shock. The stimulation is meant to distract the dog from doing something they’re not supposed to or mark the desired behavior. The stimulation may be unpleasant but generally harmless.
For people who prefer not to use static, the YardTrainer 300 also comes with vibration and tone training options.
Are e-collars effective?
- E-collars can be invaluable training tools, but only when used correctly. If you are unsure about using one or do not know how to start, please consult a professional trainer.
When can I use an e-collar for dogs?
- PetsTEK does not recommend using an e collar for dogs younger than 6 months old. We also recommend supplementing training with a remote trainer only when your dog has already learned the basic commands.
How does the YardTrainer 300 dog training collar work?
- The YardTrainer YT-300 transmitter remote sends a signal to the receiver collar worn by your dog. The collar is equipped with two contact points, or prongs, that deliver the stimulation. Alternatively, you can choose to set the remote to deliver a vibration or tone to help reinforce your message.
Operating the SportDog YT-300 YardTrainer Remote Training Collar
How do I fit the e-collar?
- Making sure the e collar fits correctly will ensure more consistent correction. To fit the e-collar properly:
- With your dog standing, center the receiver below your dog’s neck.
- Ensure the contact points are touching the skin.
- Check the fit. You should be able to put a finger between the collar strap and your dog’s neck.
If the collar is too loose, it won’t administer correction reliably. Meanwhile, a too-tight collar is an irritation risk. So, make sure your dog is comfortable. Rotate the collar every 2 hours and never leave it for more than 10 hours daily.
How do I charge the SportDog YardTrainer 300?
- To charge your YardTrainer 300 e collar, refer to the steps below:
- Lift the rubber covering the charging jack.
- Connect the charging connector to the charging jack.
- Plug the USB adaptor into a power source.
- Charge the transmitter for 2 hours.
- Cover the charging jack once the charging is complete.
- Lift the rubber cover to expose the charging jack.
- Connect the charging connector to the charging jack.
- Plug the USB adapter into a power source.
- Allow the collar to charge for 2 hours.
- Once the charging is complete, cover the charging jack with the rubber cover.
How do I turn the YardTrainer 300 SportDog collar on or off?
- To turn the receiver on, press and release the on/off button between the contact points. The indicator light will come on, and the receiver will beep 1-2 times depending on the chosen stimulation range. The default is 2 (medium).
How to set the stimulation range on my YT-300 dog shock collar?
- The YT-300 YardTrainer comes with 2 static stimulation ranges: low and medium. Each range has 7 static stimulation levels, with 1 being the lowest and 7 being the highest. The default setting is 2 (medium).
Follow the steps below to change the range of static stimulation:
- With the receiver collar turned off, turn it on by pressing the on/off button.
- The indicator light will turn off, and within 5 seconds, hold down the on/off button for 3 seconds.
- The receiver will beep while the indicator light will flash orange. Hold down the button until the number of beeps/flashes equals the desired range.
- After setting the range, the collar will turn off. If you turn it back on, it will beep according to the chosen stimulation range in Step 3.
How do I pair the YT-300 YardTrainer collar receiver to the transmitter?
- To pair a collar receiver with a new transmitter or to match a new collar to work with your existing remote, follow these steps:
- Turn the collar receiver off.
- Press and hold the on/off button. The indicator light of the receiver will come on and turn off after 4-5 seconds. (Note: The light will flash normally if the button is released too early. If this happens, repeat Step 1.)
- Release the on/off button after the indicator light comes off.
- Press and hold the upper button on the transmitter until the receiver indicator light flashes 5 times. After flashing 5 times, the receiver collar is paired and will start flashing as normal. (Note: If the indicator light does not flash 5 times, start over from Step 1.)
How to find the right stimulation level for my dog using my SportDog YT-300 shock collar?
- Finding the correct stimulation level for your dog is crucial to your success in training. This is called the recognition level, where your dog reacts mildly to the stimulation.
To discover your dog’s recognition level, follow these steps:
- Ensure the collar receiver is turned on and properly fitted on your dog.
- Set the intensity dial to Level 1 and press the upper button for 1-2 seconds.
- If your dog does not react to the stimulation, proceed to Level 2 and repeat the process.
- If your dog vocalizes or shows panic when feeling the stimulation, the stimulation level is too high. You need to dial down to the previous level and repeat the procedure.
- Once your dog exhibits a mild reaction, such as flicking of ears or looking around in curiosity, the correct level is found. Use this setting when you start your training exercise.
Note: If your dog is not reacting to the highest stimulation level, check if the contact points are touching your dog’s neck. Then repeat the procedure above. If your dog is still not feeling the stimulation, you can switch to the longer contact points. However, if your dog still shows no reaction after trying all these steps, contact SportDog Customer Support at 1-800-732-0144.
What does momentary and continuous stimulation mean?
- Momentary stimulation sends a single pulse of stimulation. On the other hand, continuous will send pulses of stimulation for as long as the button is pressed. For the YT-300, the stimulation will time out after 10 seconds as a safety feature.
Does the YardTrainer 300 dog training collar have a tone?
- Yes. The SportDog collar YT-300 has a tone feature.
Can I add another dog to my YT-300 remote training collar system?
- No, the YT-300 is a 1-dog system only.
How long does the SportDog YT-300 e collar battery last?
- Depending on use, the YT-300 transmitter and e-collar receiver batteries last for 50-70 hours between charges.
Is the SportDog collar YT-300 waterproof?
- Yes. The SportDog collar YT-300 is fully waterproof.
Can I use the SportDog YT-300 ecollar around saltwater?
- Yes. However, the collar should be rinsed with fresh water following each use.
Why can’t I get the full range on the YT-300 dog training collar?
- The range is affected by terrain, weather, vegetation, and transmission from other radio devices.
Why is the YT-300 remote dial so hard to rotate?
- This is normal and designed to protect from accidental changes in intensity. The knob will be easier to turn as you use it.
Does the SportDog YT-300 remote training collar come with a warranty?
- The YT-300 YardTrainer comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
For more information on how to use your YT-300 remote training collar, please check your user manual.
Looking for a different SportDog collar? Check out our SportDog buying guide.
You might also enjoy...