PetSafe E-Collar Feature: How to Use the PDT00-15748 SMART DOG® Trainer
One way of strengthening pet-owner bonds is through effective dog training. Effective dog training means you can clearly communicate what you want to convey to your pet. For instance, if you want your dog to stop chasing and they oblige, this shows your pet understands what you want them to do.
Unfortunately, achieving an obedient pet does not happen overnight. But like how machines make human work easier and faster, there are also e-collars used in training dogs.
The PetSafe® brand has excellent tools in its e-collar line. The most advanced yet is the PDT00-15748 SMART DOG® Trainer remote training collar.
Getting Started with the PetSafe® SMART DOG® Trainer
What is the PetSafe SMART DOG Trainer? The SMART DOG® Trainer is an e-collar for dogs. E-collars are also known as remote trainers, dog shock collars, or remote training collars. These tools help correct your dog’s undesirable behavior and reinforce already-learned commands. They work well even at a distance, making shock collars for dogs valuable communication tools.
If you’ve just gotten the SMART DOG Trainer or are looking to purchase one for your beloved pet, here’s everything you need to know.
What comes in the box:
- Receiver Collar
- Charging Adaptor
- Test Light Tool
- Startup Guide
PetSafe SMART DOG® Trainer App:
The SMART DOG® Trainer is the techiest remote training collar from PetSafe. Unlike most trainers that use a handheld remote, this training collar turns your smartphone into a remote. The e-collar connects to your smartphone through the downloadable SMART DOG Trainer App.
Using Bluetooth wireless technology, you can send a static, tone, or vibration to your dog without cellular data. It also has a more extended range than standard Bluetooth technology and transmits up to 75 yards away.
PetSafe SMART DOG® Trainer Receiver Collar:
The PetSafe SMART DOG Trainer collar has a compact design and comes with an adjustable nylon strap. This allows you to trim the collar according to your dog’s neck circumference for a snug fit. It has a LED light that shows the battery status and flashes when stimulation is in use.
This PetSafe collar is rechargeable and waterproof, which makes it great for dogs who love splashing in a puddle or soaking in the rain.
The PetSafe SMART DOG remote training collar comes with the following features:
- 75-Yard Range
- Compatible with iOS 8, Android 5, or Newer
- Waterproof Receiver Collar
- Rechargeable Collar (Battery Life up to 40 Hours)
- 2-Hour Quick Charge Collar
- For Dogs as Small as 8 Pounds
- Fits Neck Sizes up to 28”
The PetSafe SMART DOG® Trainer – Get Techie in Dog Training
The PetSafe SMART DOG® Trainer introduces a smart way of training your dog. Instead of carrying a handheld remote, as most e-collars require, you only need your smartphone to issue a correction. It’s the perfect tool if you want to teach your dog obedience without needing extra devices.
This PetSafe e-collar connects to your phone using low-energy Bluetooth technology, which does not consume much of your device’s battery. The collar is waterproof and rechargeable, so there’s no need to buy batteries for additional costs.
It has 15 static stimulation levels to help curb unwanted behaviors like digging, jumping, and chasing. But if you don’t want to use stimulation, this dog training collar also offers a vibration option on top of the tone. Like a clicker, the tone mode allows you to mark your dog’s good behaviors up to a 75-yard range.
Training your dog should be as convenient as possible. With its intuitive design, this SMART DOG® Trainer might be the electronic training device you need.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an e collar?
- An e collar is a dog training tool that’s also called a remote trainer, remote training collar, or shock collar. It allows you to communicate remotely with your dog. Used correctly, it can help reinforce commands and correct undesirable behaviors in your pet. It provides you with the means to train your dog with more precise timing and consistency. This makes an e-collar a very effective training tool.
Will an e-collar hurt my dog?
- A remote trainer sends a signal from the transmitter to the collar on the dog’s neck. The signal then triggers the stimulation, which can be in the form of static shock. The stimulation is meant to distract the dog from doing something they’re not supposed to or mark the desired behavior. The stimulus may be unpleasant but generally harmless.
For people who prefer not to use static, the SMART DOG® Trainer also comes with vibration and tone training options.
Are e-collars effective?
- E-collars can be invaluable training tools, but only when used correctly. If you need help with using one or need to know how to start, please consult a professional trainer.
When can I use an e collar for dogs?
- PetsTEK does not recommend using an e collar for dogs younger than 6 months old. We also recommend supplementing training with a remote trainer only when your dog has already learned the basic commands.
How does the PetSafe SMART DOG Trainer work?
- The SMART DOG Trainer turns your smartphone into a remote to send a signal to the receiver collar on the dog’s neck. The collar has two contact points, also called prongs, that deliver static. You can also set the remote to deliver vibration or tone to mark the message you’re sending your pet.
Does the PetSafe SMART DOG remote training collar have any safety features?
- Yes. This PetSafe shock collar has a safety feature. The SMART DOG Trainer App automatically stops correction after 10 seconds, even though the button is still pressed.
Does the PetSafe SMART DOG® Trainer come with a warranty?
- Yes. The SMART DOG Trainer has a 1-year limited warranty.
Operating the PetSafe SMART DOG® Remote Training Collar
How do I fit the e-collar?
- Making sure the ecollar fits correctly will ensure more consistent correction. To fit the e-collar properly:
- Ensure the e-collar is turned off and your dog is standing comfortably, not sitting.
- Center the receiver and ensure the contact points are touching the skin.
- Check the fit. You should be able to put a finger between the end of a contact point and your dog’s neck.
- To trim the collar strap, mark the desired length while allowing room for growth or a winter coat. Remove it from your dog and cut the excess. Use a lighter to seal the end.
If the collar is too loose, it won’t administer correction reliably. Meanwhile, a too-tight collar is an irritation risk. So, make sure your dog is comfortable. Rotate the collar every 1-2 hours and never leave it on for more than 12 hours daily.
How do I charge the SMART DOG e-collar?
- Lift the rubber cover protecting the charging port on the collar and connect the connector.
- Plug the charger into a standard wall outlet. The LED light will turn red to indicate it’s charging.
- For your first use, the device recharges for 5 hours. After that, charging will only take up to 2-3 hours.
- When charging is complete, a solid green light will appear.
- Unplug the device and place back the rubber cover over the port.
Note: Excessive charging can shorten battery life. Only charge the device when the battery is low.
How do I turn the SMART DOG® Trainer e-collar on or off?
- To turn on the collar, press and hold the on/off Button until you hear a beeping sound and the green LED appears. The green LED will flash once every 5 seconds to indicate the e collar is on and ready to connect.
- To turn it off, press and hold the same button until the collar beeps, then release it. The LED light will flash red and stop illuminating when the ecollar is off.
How do I connect the SMART DOG® Trainer with the App?
- Before using, make sure the ecollar is fully charged.
- Turn on the collar. A beep with the green LED blinking indicates the e collar is now on.
- Download the free PetSafe® SMART DOG® Trainer App from your smartphone’s app store (iOS8, Android 5, or newer) and open the app.
- Next, tap “Connect to a Collar” and the SMART DOG Trainer App will locate your training collar. Press “Connect.” (Note: Make sure your phone’s Bluetooth is on.)
- Then, assign a PIN (personal identification number) to ensure no other device can connect to your pet’s collar. (Note: You can use the same PIN for multiple phones, but they cannot be used simultaneously. The SMART DOG Trainer operates with only one BLUETOOTH® connection at a time.)
- After that, your SMART DOG training collar and app are ready to use. Place the app on the home screen for quick access.
How do I adjust the stimulation level of my PetSafe SMART DOG Trainer e-collar?
- The SMART DOG Trainer delivers 15 static stimulation levels. When using stimulation, tap the +/- to go up or down a level.
What does static stimulation mean?
- Static stimulation sends a tingling sensation to your dog for as long as the button is pressed. However, with the PetSafe SMART DOG Trainer safety feature, the stimulation can only be administered for up to 10 seconds.
Does the SMART DOG Trainer have a vibration?
- Yes. The PetSafe SMART DOG Trainer has one non-adjustable level of vibration mode. Once the vibration button is pressed, the probes on the e collar will vibrate to disrupt your dog.
Does the SMART DOG Trainer have a tone?
- Yes. The SMART DOG Trainer has one tone volume. The tone option can be used as a warning before sending vibration or static to stop unwanted behavior. Alternatively, you can apply tone to mark positive behaviors. However, never utilize tone for both, as this may confuse your dog.
How do I get the full range on my e-collar?
- The PetSafe SMART DOG Trainer has a range of up to 75 yards. Ensure no metal structures can interfere with the connection between your phone and the dog’s collar.
Is the PetSafe SMART DOG Trainer e collar waterproof?
- Yes. The PetSafe SMART DOG Trainer e-collar is waterproof and submersible up to 5 feet for 30 minutes.
How do I reset the PIN for my SMART DOG Trainer training collar?
- Reset your PIN if the current PIN has been forgotten or access is no longer available. Follow the steps below:
- Turn the e collar on.
- Press the power button on the collar until a beep is heard and the light flashes green.
- Press and hold the same button for 10 seconds. The LED light will turn red to signify the collar will turn off shortly.
- Continue holding the button until the collar flashes green and beeps five times. This indicates the PIN has been reset. (Note: The training collar is still off.)
- Now, press the power button again.
- Open the SMART DOG Trainer App and connect to your collar.
- Enter your new PIN. Your smartphone and training collar are now ready to use.
Test Light Instructions
- Turn the e-collar on.
- Hold the test light contacts to the contact points.
- Press the stimulation button on your (smartphone/remote).
- The test light should flash to know it’s working. At higher stimulation levels, the test light will flash brighter.
- Turn the e collar off.
- Keep the test light tool for future testing.
Note: If the test light does not flash, recharge the battery and re-test. If the test light does not flash after charging, contact Customer Support.
For more information on how to use your SMART DOG remote training collar, please check your user manual.
Looking for a different PetSafe collar? Check out our PetSafe buying guide.
Ready to buy your own PetSafe SMART DOG e-collar? Get your collar here.
Dog Training, E-Collar Info & Guides, Remote Training Collar