Dogs and Fireworks: 10 Tips To Keep Your Pet Calm
Fireworks have been part of big celebrations, like the New Year’s Day. For some, it’s a symbol to chase away bad spirits and summon the good ones.
As you usher in a new year, everyone, including your pet, shares the same excitement as you do. Unfortunately, loud booms and flashes of light aren’t a dog’s favorite. But the tradition is here to stay—at least it seems to be that way.
So, what can you do to help your pooch get through it all?
Consider these helpful tips to calm your anxious dog during fireworks displays:
- Desensitize your dog to loud noises.
- Never bring your pet outside during fireworks.
- Ensure your house is escape-proof.
- Give them the quietest space in your home.
- Shut windows and doors to muffle loud booms.
- Turn on the lights and put on some calming music.
- Get them occupied through toys and games.
- Use a compression vest to keep them calm.
- Be with them as much as possible.
- Consult your vet for recommendations.
Happy New Year!